Adjunct Instructor – Ironworker
SAIT is a global leader in applied education and an institution that empowers employees to make a difference in the lives of our students.
Building on more than a century of history, we are looking for innovative employees wanting to create a future with us. As part of our team, you are encouraged to be bold and inventive, bringing new ideas to the table. Change excites you.
Along with gourmet on-campus restaurants run by our culinary program and an unparalleled view of downtown Calgary, SAIT offers the chance to do work with a purpose — preparing the next generation of industry leaders, entrepreneurs, advocates and explorers. We develop leaders in the classroom and our workspaces, encouraging lifelong learning for both students and employees.
Your future starts now … at SAIT.
Corporate Development and Applied Research
Within SAIT, the Corporate Development, Applied Research and Innovation (CDARI) division employs all non-credit instructors and Subject Matter Experts who facilitate and build curriculum within the Centre of Continuing Education & Professional Studies, Corporate Training, and International Projects. We are looking to add qualified industry professionals to facilitate this course on a part-time, contract basis to a cohort of independent adult learners.
Students of this division can take non-credit classes in any number or order, as they do not count toward a degree or diploma program. These course offerings are geared to provide learners with professional development or re-training.
In addition to teaching, the Instructor is responsible for student support and communication, creation of assignments, marking, grading, and curriculum revision as needed.
The instructor is to make use of any and all available resources, methods, techniques and strategies to ensure student success and an engaged, hands-on environment. The instructor is expected to work collaboratively with colleagues to create a learning atmosphere which is pedagogically sound, technically supported, and innovative in nature.
SAIT and CDARI provides in-depth training and support for first-time instructors. We pride ourselves in bringing the leading edge of the field into the hands-on learning of our students. We strive to leave our graduates with job-ready skills and experience through cases, assignments, and projects to be value-add candidates to the local employment market.
- Prepare and present lessons, lectures, assignments, quizzes, exams, lab activities and lab demonstrations for learners if applicable given the course outline
- Maintain records for the purposes of grading, assessing professionalism and tracking attendance in both theory and lab classes if given the course outline
- Manage the classroom or lab to ensure a positive learning environment
- Show personal interest in the learner and create a climate conducive to optimal learning
- Provide on-going support, guidance and advice to students
- Assist in the maintenance of curriculum as needed to maintain up-to date and relevant learning
- Participate in curriculum/program review as needed
- Attend all SAIT training as required
- Achievement of School initiatives and Objectives
- Be an active and engaged member of the School
- Adhere to all safety legislation, guidelines and safety standards as required
- Maintain contact with relevant industry sectors
- All other duties as required for the position
This Instructor opportunity is scheduled to deliver classes:
WELD005 – Introduction to Ironworker
March 24, 2021 to April 1, 2021
In-class Lab & Theory online using Zoom
Minimum Alberta Red Seal Journeyperson Certificate in Ironworking
- 2 years of experience as a Journeyperson in a variety of installation and service environments is desired
- Prior teaching or training experience in adult education is an asset
- Experience and fluency with Office 365 (MS Word, Outlook and PowerPoint)
- Experience with videoconferencing technology (MS Teams, WebX, Skype or Zoom)
- Fluent in English reading and vocabulary
- Comfortable speaking to the public
- Positive & respectful attitude
- Ability to read, interpret and deliver specific curriculum
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to organize and present written information
- Previous teaching experience
- Experience with a Learning Management System (Brightspace or Moodle is an asset)
- Training and knowledge of adult learning fundamentals
- Formal training or education in facilitation or teaching
- Formal training in online technologies
- Experience with curriculum development or instructional design
- Conveys full and complete thought
- Explains answers completely and thoroughly
- Provides relevant examples
- Effectively story-tells
- Speaks directly and concisely
- Brings excitement and engagement
- Possesses genuine interest in teaching others
- Interest in life-long learning
- Seeks self-improvement
- Seeks and welcomes feedback and advice
- Demonstrates organization
- Is attentive to timelines, structures, and processes
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Can succeed with independence
- Solutions orientation
Industry Leading within Profession:
- Informed and curious
- Seeks best practices, leading technology, and new ideas
- Speaks confidently about their field of work
Why Work at SAIT
SAIT and CDARI have a focus on adjunct instructor development and support. We sustain that the next level classroom experience starts with our dedicated and qualified instructors and the ability to bring their field experience into the classroom. We focus on applied curriculum and developing the employability of our graduates. We are future focused in developing our local, national, and international economies for the future.
Please continue with the online application process by clicking the Apply Now button.
All applications should be made through our online system.
SAIT is committed to equity and diversity within its community and invites applications from all qualified applicants.
SAFA: This position is part of the SAFA (SAIT’s Faculty Association)
Conditions of Employment
In order to ensure and maintain a safe and secure working and learning environment, all applicants to the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology must complete and pass a police security clearance before employment is confirmed. Employment is conditional until a satisfactory police security clearance is obtained and confirmed. Employment with SAIT will not commence until the results have been provided and confirmed.
SAIT’s vision is to be a global leader in applied education