Date: Nov 9, 2020
Location: Chesapeake, VA, US, 23320
Company: HII’s TSD
Huntington Ingalls Industries is America’s largest military shipbuilding company and a provider of professional services to partners in government and industry. For more than a century, HII’s Newport News and Ingalls shipbuilding divisions in Virginia and Mississippi have built more ships in more ship classes than any other U.S. naval shipbuilder. HII’s Technical Solutions division provides a wide range of professional services through its Fleet Support, Mission Driven Innovative Solutions, Nuclear & Environmental, and Oil & Gas groups. Headquartered in Newport News, Virginia, HII employs more than 42,000 people operating both domestically and internationally.
The selected candidate will be supporting our Marine Services Division working on the deck plates preforming a number of welding processes and related duties on shipboard pipe systems to assist with alterations and installs for fleet modernization on various contracts such as Naval Undersea Warfare Center, Space & Naval Warfare Systems Command and Naval Surface Warfare Center. Selected candidate will be required to travel to shipyards and military bases located around the country and internationally when not assigned to a local task. Per diem available based on location when on travel, travel and lodging expenses are covered by the company. There is potential to work up to 20 hours overtime a week.
- Candidate must be able to demonstrate pipe welding ability on needed processes through qualification testing and pass with a satisfactory grade from our Quality Assurance Team for continued employment. #LI-MJ1
Essential Job Responsibilities
Applies comprehensive understanding of production and processes toward completion of assignments. Responsible for interfacing with customers, managing subcontractors and ability to provide work direction to others. Performs a variety of complicated and non routine tasks. Develops and uses technical documents including controlled work packages, formal work processes and procedures, test documents, reports and task or trip reports. Schedules, reports and briefs customers and senior management. Performs duties outside of specialty in order to complete installation or work assignment.
- Must have High School education, or Trade School or equivalent, and 4 years of related experience.
- Must have in depth knowledge and experience in brazing and welding of pipe.
- Must have experience in installation, maintenance, and repair of high energy piping systems onboard marine vessels.
- Must be able to perform pipe welding requirements to 6G
- Must be able to weld in and out of position on various pipe configurations using shielded metal arc welding (SMAW/Stick) and gas tungsten arc welding (GTAW/TIG) welding processes.
- Must have strong Knowledge of Marine Blueprint reading and interpretation, with the ability to interpret sketches and drawings to develop specifications for product to be fabricated and/or installed
- Must have strong procedural knowledge of pipe welding.
- Must be able to create weldments, utilizing a variety of procedures, which must pass visual (VT), magnetic particle (MT), liquid penetrant (LPT), and/or radiographic inspections (RT), as appropriate.
- Must be able to travel up to 75% percent of the year.
- Must be able obtain/maintain base access credentials and a DoD secret security clearance.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Must provide own hand tools as designated per trades specialty.
- Ability to fabricate mockup, targets or fixtures to increase quality and production preferred.
- Strong knowledge of welding machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance Preferred
- Welding experience on structural shipboard systems with some or all of the following welding processes; shielded metal arc welding (SMAW/Stick), gas metal arc welding (GMAW/MIG), gas tungsten arc welding (GTAW/TIG) and/or flux-cored arc welding (FCAW/FCA) highly desired
- Prefer technical/professional certifications.
Must be able to lift, carry and transport heavy equipment and boxes. The exact weight requirements will be determined by the specific job, but no less than 30 lbs. Able to work on and climb ladders, work in extreme temperature environments, aboard ships, in shipyards, under industrial conditions and in confined spaces. Able to perform other duties as required which may involve high heat, humidity, noise and dirty conditions, working aloft or over the sides of vessels. May ride ships at sea for extended periods. May require wearing a respirator. Travel may be required within and outside of the continental United States.
Huntington Ingalls Industries is an Equal Opportunity/Vets and Disabled Employer. U.S. Citizenship may be required for certain positions.
Nearest Major Market: Hampton Roads