Responsible for the fabrication of custom prototypes from supplied drawings, fabrication of custom jigs and fixtures to produce production parts that meet customer specifications, as well as the fabrication of metal structures using jigs and fixtures in a high paced production environment. This position will work with Supervisors and Lead Hands to ensure continuous improvements in work cells, hitting quotas, welding according to pre-set parameters using MIG, ARC and TIG welding processes. Only Registered 2nd and 3rd year AIT Apprentices Welders or Journeymen will be considered.
- Read and interpret blueprints or welding process specifications.
- Structural experience is an asset.
- Ability to weld with aluminum.
- Operate manual or semi-automatic welding equipment to fuse metal segments using processes such as gas tungsten arc welding (GTAW), gas metal arc welding (GMAW), flux-cored arc welding (FCAW).
- Operate manual or semi-automatic flame-cutting equipment.
- Occasionally operate metal shaping machines such as brakes, shears and other metal straightening and bending machines.
- Repair parts of metal products by welding on extra layers.
- Perform all duties in accordance with Silent-Aire safety program standards
- Assist in development of repair estimates.
- Conduct Technical Inspections.
- Conduct repairs, modifications and retrofits.
- Monitor parts usage and report on any material issues.
- Assist in training, directing & supervision of junior employees and apprentices, inspecting and certifying their work.
- Review blueprints and specifications; ensure drawings and specifications will function as designed in environment intended for use.
- Maintain a working knowledge of changes in technology, compliance and repair techniques.
- Other assigned work as required.
- Communication is primarily internal to the assigned work team and the Welding Supervisor
- Fast-paced environment.
- Indoors, occasionally at heights.
- Attention to detail.
- Repetitive tasks.
- Hand-eye coordination, manual dexterity.
- Handling heavy load up to 50 lbs.
- Physically demanding.
- Overtime as required, break times are flexible to coincide with business priorities.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Registered Alberta 2nd year or 3rd year Apprentice or Journeyman Certification
- Valid welding certification, Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW), certified in all positions.
- CWB tickets are an asset
- Ability to work independently in a busy environment.
- Previous night-shift experience is an asset.
- Experience with routine maintenance operations.
- Highly flexible, with solid interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse working environment.
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Able to work well under pressure.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Able to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times.
- Computer literate.
- Must have own vehicle and driver’s license as public transportation is not available.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent, Apprenticeship
- Dental Care
- Employee Assistance Program
- Extended Health Care
- Life Insurance
- On-site Parking
- RRSP Match
- Vision Care
- 3rd Year or Journeyman Welding (Required)
- Driver’s License Class 5 (Required)