SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
STRUCTURAL FITTER (MIG) – TEMPORARY POSITION (DAY SHIFT)
- Perform pipe fitting responsibilities
- Read and/or interpret measurements from blueprints
- Maintain, troubleshoot, and repair equipment and instrumentation as needed
- Collaborate with engineering team
- Fabricate materials by drawing specs
- Ensure all materials are clean and inspected according to Clean for Oxygen Service Standards
- Obtain and maintain licenses, operator permits or certifications as required
- Follow all necessary regulations and appropriate SpaceX procedures including quality policies, safety policies, OSHA, EPA, NIOSH, NFPA, ASME, NEC, etc.
- Drive forklifts and at times lift heavy loads
- Work in a team-based environment
This is a temporary position with SpaceX, for the length of time as stated, and is subject to change with minimal notice as business needs dictate.
- LENGTH OF POSITION: 6 months
- LOCATION: Brownsville, TX
- SHIFT: Day shift (6 AM – 6 PM); Alternative Work Schedule: 3 days on, 4 days off then 4 days on, 3 days off
- Professional industrial experience such as installing pipe and components, bending stainless tubes, or working around high pressure systems
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Associate degree
- A&P license
- Professional welding experience
- Experience with MIG welding
- Experience with plasma cutter, oxy acetylene, grinders, and die-grinder
- Experience working with ground support equipment in an aerospace industry
- Experience using boom lifts, forklifts, and scissor lifts
- Mechanical aptitude and experience (work with machines and general tooling)
- Formalized mechanical training, skilled in hand and power tool usage
- A demonstrated experience where quick-thinking and problem solving plays a critical role
- Ability to utilize power tools and hand tools as well as heavy equipment
- Use of precision measuring instruments
- Ability to read and understand mechanical and electrical schematics
- Knowledge of hazardous systems – cryogenic, flammable, hypergolic, pyrophoric
- Experience in the space exploration industry, military or other high-reliability operating environment
- This role requires working from 6 AM – 6 PM; 3 days on, 4 days off, then 4 days on, 3 days off
- Ability to work multiple shifts and change shifts with minimal notice
- Ability to travel to different sites, as needed
- Ability to stand for extended periods – 8 hours minimum
- Ability to lift heavy objects (up to 25 lbs.) unassisted
- Ability to perform job duties that require standing, kneeling, crouching, twisting upper body, working in cramped positions in small openings and climbing hand over hand
- Ability to work at elevated heights (up to 100 feet)
- Typically exposed to work in extreme outdoor environments – heat, cold, rain
- Work performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.