At ATS, a publicly traded global company with a proud 40-year history, we help drive the future with our factory-wide automation solutions. At ATS Industrial Automation, what we do matters – both to our customers and to their customers. With 600 skilled employees around the world, we design, build and service mission-critical automated assembly and test solutions for mobility, nuclear and specialty automation. Our customers are leaders in their industries and rely on us to deliver what we promise – on time and on budget. Combined with our broad product portfolio, financial strength and global presence, we provide our customers with the best automation solutions wherever and whenever they need them.
As an Automated Welding Specialist, you are the driving technical force leading specification review, process development and problem solving efforts for ATS welding applications. You will work with a highly capable team driven to provide solutions to customer’s problems, fostering customer relationships and building customer loyalty. You will get the opportunity to thrive as a technical leader in automated welding processes by becoming the subject matter expert in the automation system and the customer’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes, providing project technical clarify by defining system requirements, validating system capability, and acting a technical leader by working on the system from concept to commissioning. You’ll be part of a dynamic engineering team – empowered to solve problems in the office and on the ground floor where every day matters. Your ability to design, create, execute, be creative, problem solve and work as a team will drive the team’s success.
Join the winning team at ATS where we strive to make tomorrow better than today
Works with the customer, ATS Engineering teams and Project Managers to design, analyze and evaluate welding technology and solutions to meet the customer’s welding process requirements.
- Improve the knowledge and capability of ATS in the weld processes for automated machines and systems
- Lead and/or provide input to the development of ATS standard designs and products related to automated welding processes.
- Assist in maintain the pertinent R&D labs, following all health and safety regulations.
- Develop relationships with industry, educational and government agency partners within the welding industry, allowing ATS to leverage their expertise and capacity.
- Research and create awareness of market trends and new technologies within the automated welding industry.
- Work with ATS patent committee to develop weld processes and equipment patents.
- Perform R&D on new automated weld process related technologies to suit customer and industry needs.
- Meet with customers as part of the sales effort to help demonstrate ATS engineering capability and to help understand or identify process concerns.
- Evaluate customer parts and processes for feasibility and reliability of manufacturing using automation.
- Coordinate and execute lab prototyping, both at ATS and our vendors in support of sales and operations.
- Assist Sales and Marketing by promoting ATS weld process development and system design and integration
Specific Responsibilities Contd
- Responsible for learning a customer’s weld processes and becoming the local expert to support the ATS-built equipment.
- Responsible for helping to define the weld process requirements in support of the ATS design requirements (Functional requirements specifications, design requirements etch).
- Provide process development support to ATS customers
- Responsible for providing both hardware and labor estimates in support of proposal development.
- Provide design assistance and integration support for automated weld processes.
- Provide design support for all automated weld process requirements within ATS IA-Cambridge. Design support includes, but is not limited to:
1. Development of design concepts related to applicable weld processes.
2. Execution of all proof of principle work required to validate a design concepts and weld processes.
3. Selection and sourcing of all automated welding process system components related to the weld process.
4. Evaluation of the final design output for conformance to all design inputs during design reviews internally, with vendors and with ATS customers.
5. Calibration and alignment procedure design, verification, and validation of design.
6. Writing third-party vendor specs (VTS) and approval and validation of third-party designs.
- Provide integration support for all weld process projects within ATS IA-Cambridge. Integration support includes, but is not limited to:
1. Integration of all weld process components.
2. Setup, alignment, calibration and troubleshooting of automated welding systems and components
3. Processing tuning of all automated welding processes.
- Ensure that the design of the system maximizes the use of standard modules.
- Coordinate project activities with suppliers of welding equipment.
- Responsible for helping to define the validation methods associated with the applicable welding processes.
- Responsible for creating reports of key findings and/or results from trials or during system buy-off.
- Participate, where required, in the validation of the final automated weld process design during acceptance testing.
- Ensure that all business activities are performed with the highest ethical standards and in compliance with the ATS Code of Business Conduct.
- Adhere to all health and safety rules and procedures.
A post-secondary degree or diploma in Materials Science/Engineering, Mechanical Engineering/Technology or equivalent.
Degree / diploma with specialization in welding and joining technologies is an asset.
6+ years of experience in automated welding systems design, development, and qualification of factory automation projects. Thorough understanding of welding processes, automated welding solutions, robotics, vision systems, machine controls, structured problem solving, DOE, statistical analysis and precision engineering principles is necessary. Good written and oral communication skills and the ability to lead or work as part of a multi-disciplinary project team are essential.
Join our ATS Industrial Automation Team because:
We VALUE our People: The foundation of a great company is having the best team which is why we continuously work to develop, engage, empower and energize our people.
We’ve got GREAT Work Perks: We provide a variety of perks to our employees. Make sure you ask more about our treat days, free gourmet coffee beverages, employee referral bonus and onsite cafeteria.
We offer COMPETITIVE Total Rewards: Competitive starting salaries, overtime pay eligibility, paid vacation, Employee Incentive Bonus program, comprehensive health and dental benefits including Lifestyle Spending Account, RRSP matching program and optional Employee Share Purchase Program.
We support internal GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT: ATS Automation offers endless opportunities for professional growth and development. Ask about our tuition reimbursement program and our commitment to promoting from within.
ATS is in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disability Act (AODA), 2005 and will, upon request, assist those who may require specific accommodations due to a personal disability. We would ask that those who require assistance to notify our offices as soon as possible if accommodation is necessary.