The Applications Engineer for Fabrication Division is responsible for actively driving and managing the Fabrication evaluation stage of the sales process. He/she will be working within project parameters as outlined in the product/ or customer requirements to develop, communicate, and create design engineering solutions that can be manufactured to cost targets, processes, materials and meets testing requirements. This role is also responsible for creating new and refining existing mechanical components and assemblies to suit customer/company requirements and ensure compliance with all applicable standards and product integrity requirements. He/she must generate, maintain, and distribute controlled documents (drawings, bills of materials, and change notices).
- Maintain expert level of Fabrication knowledge and application.
- Articulate technology and product positioning to both business and technical users.
- Provide design and specification development support to sales, customers and design engineers.
- Respond to functional and technical elements of RFQ’s
- Convey customer requirements.
- Prepare line layouts and conceptual drawings.
- Perform technical/ product training for sales people, estimators, and engineers at targeted accounts.
- Assist in the design and development of new products and tools necessary to make target accounts comfortable and successful at selling new technology.
- Maintain accurate records of target accounts, opportunities, quotes, projects, contacts and correspondence in company approved databases.
- Travel to customer sites to understand customer requirements and to demonstrate the solution to their needs.
- Identify customer needs and sales opportunities to help future growth.
- Manage the introduction of new products into Fabrication by collaborating with peers and manager
- Work with Divisional Lead in capital quoting and budgeting project planning, design and manufacturing;
- Assimilate and distribute product information and manufacturability assessments ensuring a timely delivery of a quality product to the customer
- Interface at all levels within the customer’s organization and provides early design support, coordinate multiple projects from NPI concept to production within Samco Fabrication.
- Setting up and manage project plans with targets, execution and success completion dates
- BA/BS in Engineering, Technical Field, or equivalent successful experience in a similar industry role
- Five years’ experience in sheet metal fabrication. Three years manufacturing knowledge of processes and materials.
- Ability to read architectural, mechanical and electrical blueprints and have a solid understanding of basic electrical and mechanical control systems
- Advanced project and time management skills and word processing.
- Proficient in Solid Works and Radan.
- Ability to plan, organize, solve problems and make decisions. Strong time management, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics is a definite asset.
- Proven ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal and good communication skills, verbal and written, with strong attention to detail
- Experience in managing and mentoring to direct reports. Demonstrated leadership and management skills to lead assigned machine operators.
- May implement design changes required by the customer or manufacturing or any problems arising from difficulties within production.
- Review and modification of designs to reduce excessive cost, customer concern, and production requests.
- Recommending material type, method of manufacture, tolerances, and need for special processes to support product, production and customer concern.
- Communicate major design changes to Divisional Lead and other appropriate team members. Final changes are to be approved by departmental manager.
- Determines appropriate delegation of job tasks to assigned associates.
- Internally this position interacts closely with Fabrication Management and Team Members.
- Externally this position interacts closely with all levels of the customers organization.
Working Conditions & Physical Demands:
- The conditions will conducive with an environment which supports computer related work, however will be located within the production area.
- Working hours will follow production schedule, however additional hours will be necessary relative to workload and timescale.
- Dynamic and fast paced environment, meeting deadlines within time constraints which may result in working additional hours.
- Stress is relative to making decisions that significantly impact the organizations margins, meeting deadlines, customer needs, productions limitations, and external vendors.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Company events
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- On-site parking
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Supplemental pay types:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Scarborough, ON: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Engineering: 5 years (preferred)
- estimating: 3 years (preferred)
- Metal fabrication: 3 years (preferred)