As the Fab Shop Lead Hand, you’ll need to have a good eye for detail as you will be responsible for the health and safety of workers as well as ensuring the final product meets all workmanship criteria’s. As the lead you will also be required to interfere in the case of dangerous or unsafe work, as well as taking the necessary measures to correct poor workmanship. You will be responsible for building a team of professional tradesmen/women while empowering them to work together safely and efficiently.
- Follow Ontario Occupational Health and Safety act and regulations (R.S.O 1990, C.O.1).
- Enforce health and safety rules as well as company’s policies. Champion Health and Safety
- Oversee housekeeping of shop areas and any equipment that is related to it.
- Ensure all the RAW materials for work order and final products are handled using proper material handling methods with proper equipment in a safe manner.
- Co-ordinates and interfaces between fabrication and pre-fabrication activities.
- Ensure all time spent on work orders are accurately recorded in the E2 system.
- Ensure any materials taken from inventory are documented and that the processing lead hand is made aware.
- Distribute jobs according to employee’s abilities.
- Supervise workmanship.
- Ensure that employees are working efficiently.
- Encourage teamwork and help boost employee morale.
- Be aware of fabrication deadlines.
- Ensure that equipment is used safely and effectively.
- Report unsafe and damaged equipment.
- Manage job so that its lead time is minimized and proves to be efficient.
- Assess each employee’s ability and performance.
- Inform shop foreman in the case of delay in the production schedule and justified.
- Oversee welding operations done through FCAW, SMAW, GMAW, SAW welding processes.
- Conduct training regarding fitting and welding if needed.
- Make sure all approved welding standards are followed during the operation.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- 7 + years Supervisor Experience. 10-20 workers
- 7 + years’ experience in a fast paced custom steel fabrication setting
- Overhead crane experience required
- Forklift Experience required
- Knowledge of the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety act and regulations and how to implement them is required
- 5S knowledge is an asset
- Lean Manufacturing knowledge is an asset
- Must be able to analyze and interpret engineering drawings
- Must have excellent team leadership and training skills
- Experience with metal core, hardwire and flux core is required
- Full Knowledge of Weld Symbols is required
- Can mount and prepare welding and or fitting jigs
- Intermediate or better blue print reading skills are required
- Operate arc cutting equipment (arc-air)
- Passionate about cleanliness, organization and doing it right the first time
- Fluent in English with excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Good attitude and team building skills are an asset
Job Type: Permanent
- Company events
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Vision care
To keep our employees safe, we have implemented daily screening & cleaning (2x day), restricted occupancy levels in common areas, masks usage where social distancing cannot be maintained, closed to public, PPE care packages, proper hygiene protocol, et al