Title: Journeyman Welder
Reports To: Welding Supervisor
The Journeyman Welder is responsible for the fabrication of custom prototypes from supplied drawings, fabrication of custom jigs and fixtures to produce production parts that meet customer specifications, as well as the fabrication of metal structures using jigs and fixtures in a high paced production environment. This position will work with Supervisors and Lead Hands to ensure continuous improvements in work cells, hitting quotas, and welding according to pre-set parameters using MIG, ARC and TIG welding processes.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Read, interpret, and review blueprints or welding process specifications; ensure drawings and specifications will function as designed in environment intended for use.
- Operate manual or semi-automatic welding equipment to fuse metal segments using processes such as gas tungsten arc welding (GTAW), gas metal arc welding (GMAW), flux- cored arc welding (FCAW), plasma arc welding (PAW), shielded metal arc welding (SMAW), oxy-acetylene welding (OAW), resistance welding, and submerged arc welding (SAW).
- Operate brazing, soldering, and manual or semi-automatic flame-cutting equipment.
- Operate metal shaping machines such as brakes, shears, and other metal straightening and bending machines.
- Repair parts of metal products by welding on extra layers.
- Conduct technical inspections, repairs, modifications, and retrofits.
- Monitor parts usage and report on any material issues.
- Ensure accuracy and completion of assigned tasks and projects.
- Keep detailed and accurate reports and documentation.
- Maintain a working knowledge of changes in technology, compliance, and repair techniques.
- Assist in training, directing, and supervision of junior employees and apprentices, inspecting and certifying their work.
- Performs all duties in accordance with Silent-Aire Limited Partnership safety program standards and Alberta Occupational Health and Safety Act, Regulations, and Code.
- Other duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Licensed Journeyman Welder in Alberta.
- Working towards Interprovincial Red Seal or CWB tickets.
- Valid welding certification, Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW), Shielded Metal Arc Welding
(SMAW), certified in all positions.
- Experience with routine maintenance operations.
- Highly flexible, with solid interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse working environment.
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Able to work well under pressure.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Able to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times.
- 24/7 availability may be required.
- Physical ability to lift up to 50lb.
- Travel to off-site locations may be required.
- Always adhere to safety policies (wear protective equipment).
- Overtime as required.
- Hazards associated with the trade.
- Work both indoors and outdoors, occasionally at heights. May be exposed to construction sites.
- Communication is primarily internal to the assigned work team and the Welding Supervisor.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $38.00 per hour
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- RRSP match
- Vision care
Flexible Language Requirement:
- Welding: 4 years (required)
- Class 5 license and vehicle (required)