INSTRUCTIONS ON APPLYING: Head to https://asp1.humanic.com/pls/gulf/hapss_index.apss > select GOVT – Virginia1 tab > select Search for jobs > Select position code 172201 – Pipe Welder 1st Class
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
This position is responsible for the following: Other duties may be assigned.
1. Have the ability to comprehend and utilize blueprints, sketches, drawings, technical
manuals, and work process instruction.
2. Welds steel plates and pipe in the repair and/or construction of marine vessels, industrial components, and associated equipment.
3. Have the skills to use various types of welding equipment for different types of metal.
4. Welds components in a flat, vertical, or overhead positions.
5. Performs related tasks such as cutting and grinding.
6. Repairs broken or cracked parts, fills holes, and increases size of metal parts.
7. Welds metal parts together using gas welding, brazing, arc welding, wire fed welding, or tig welding process and procedures.
8. Highly skilled welders often are trained to work with a wide variety of materials, such as titanium, aluminum, or exotic metals, in addition to steel.
9. Select and set up welding equipment, execute the planned welds, and examine the welds to ensure that they meet standards or specifications.
Required Education & Experience:
1. High School Diploma, some college or technical school certification, six months to one year(s) experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
2. Must pass an ABS, or ASME weld test. Must also be able to pass x-ray testing.
1. Open-air conditions such as noisy, hot, cold, etc.
2. Must be able to stand and operate equipment up to four continuos hours.
3. Must wear hearing, eye, head protection and proper PPE.
4. Some climbing (100 feet or higher) and lifting (50 lbs.) involved.
5. Working with hot and sometimes hazardous materials.
6. Work on inland and offshore barges or in industrial settings.
7. Enter round manholes with inside diameters of 18”, and other internally confined spaces.
8. Traverse gangways and scaffolding at varying heights.
Necessary Equipment Operation:
1. Blow torches- Motorized cutting torches; Pattern cutting torches; Welding torches
2. Gas welding, brazing, or cutting apparatus- Brazing equipment; Heliarc welding equipment; Oxyacetylene equipment; Portable gas operated arc welders.
3. Manlift or personnel lift- hydraulic truck lifts; Swing stages
4. Weld masks- Hand shields; Welding shields
1. Ability to work under deadlines and schedule pressures.
2. Ability to read and interpret blueprints, sketches, drawings and technical manuals.
3. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
4. High performance and a strong team player.
5. Commitment to company values and safety program.
Welder Position Basic Requirements:
Plate Welder 2nd Class (PLW2) – Welder capable of welding SMAW or FCAW on plate/structural with ABS Q2+4G or ASME or AWS plate test (2G+3G+4G).
Plate Welder 1st Class (PLW1) – Welder capable of welding SMAW & FCAW on plate/structural with ABS Q2+4G or ASME or AWS plate test (2G+3G+4G).
Pipe Welder 2nd Class (PPW2) – Welder capable of welding SMAW or FCAW on plate/structural &SMAW or FCAW on pipe with ABS Q3 or AWS 6g pipe test.
Pipe Welder 1st Class (PPW1) – Welder capable of welding SMAW & FCAW and or GTAW on pipe. Must Pass ABS Q3 or ASME 6G or AWS 6G pipe test.
Combination Welder – Pipe/Plate/Structural (PPLW)– Welder capable of process / structural pipe and plate welding using GTAW+FCAW and or GTAW+SMAW.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as a comprehensive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of assigned personnel.