Martinrea is adiversified global automotive supplierengaged in the design, development and manufacturing of metal parts, assemblies and modules, complex fluid management systems and aluminum products. We employ approximately 15,000 skilled and motivated people at manufacturing, engineering and technical centers in Canada, the United States, Mexico, Brazil, Germany, Slovakia, Spain and China. Our business strategy leverages world-class technologies, motivated and talented people, and high-quality products.
Our Mission is tomake people’s livesbetter by:
- Delivering outstanding quality products and services to our customers;
- Providing meaningful opportunity, job satisfaction, and job security for our people;
- Being positive contributors to our communities; and,
- Providing superior long-term investment returns to our stakeholders.
We invite you to follow your dreams and explore a challenging and rewarding career at Martinrea.
Job Summary: Promote a high performance safety culture, lead the production of quality parts, and ensure required efficiency targets are achieved by maintaining equipment on a daily basis and leading a team of Jr. Technicians/Technical Leads and Production Associates.
Required Education and Experience:
- Must be able to read and write in English
- Electro-Mechanical Technician Diploma OR
- Millwright or Electrician Red Seal certificate OR
- Welding/Welding Technology Certification
- Relevant technical certificate/diploma/degree and combination of experience
- 5 7 years of experience in similar role and in a similar production environment
- Ability to work independently and draw from experience with minimal supervision
- Ability to lead a team and work in a team environment
- Ability to use problem solving tools (i.e. 1×1 problem solving) where issues vary considerably
- Knowledge of technical specialties and capable of working with moderately complex procedures
- Knowledge of production and quality systems
- Knowledge of customer specific requirements and IATF16949 management system
- Knowledge of ISO14001 & ISO45001 preferred
Health & Safety and Environmental
- Perform all work in a safe manner as per standard work and ensure assigned team follows all Environmental & Safety regulations and policies.
- Report potential safety hazards and all safety incidents immediately to Supervisor/Manager-Operations
- Participate in all 1×1 in your specific lines and being the champion on the 1×1 that you initiate
- Mentor Jr Techs on 1×1 problem solving as per mentor checklist
- Complete safety walks weekly and collaborate with relevant departments for corrective action
- Scheduled 5S Implementation – ensure cells are clean and schedule is being followed. All cleaning equipment is in good working order and present at your lines.
- Rotation of operators to ensure minimizing ergonomics and fatigue
- Communicate Safety issues at Line side boards daily. Record status on the line side board daily.
- Responsible for providing required PPE for immediate associates.
- Assessing effectiveness of PPE related to their responsible work centre
- Reporting to Quality System Specialist and Health & Safety Lead any observed new or changes to product/process/service within their area of responsibility.
- Ensure proper waste separation (garbage, recycling, used gloves & rags) is understood and carried out by all employees within the area of responsibilities.
- Participate during internal and external Environmental and Health & Safety Audit when required.
- Ensure employees within the area of responsibility are aware of the consequences of not following Environmental and Health & Safety procedures and policies.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable codes, standards and legislation including Environmental Legislation, O. Reg 851 for Industrial Establishments, and the Occupational Health and Safety Act (with emphasis on Section 28, (1) (a)-(d), (2) (a)-(c)).
- Full understanding of Quality policies and requirements and ensuring adherence.
- Assist in closing Layer Process Audit (LPA) open issues are addressed and closed on time.
- Conduct fixture checks after adjustments to meet quality objectives; able to sign off on a first off
- Participate in utilizing problem solving tools (i.e. 1×1 problem solving) to solve daily quality problems
- Adjust welding fixtures to achieve dimensional quality objectives as per the Quality Check sheet
- Adjust welding parameters to meet quality requirements.
- Document all changes by maintaining change logs for sealant, weld fixtures, and weld parameters.
- Ensure any process changes are documented in the process change log, have approved Deviation Request and is signed off by Department designate and validated by QA before allowing the work cell to run.
- Ensure that red herrings are functioning optimally and are able to detect the potential quality issues.
- Communicate all internal/ external Quality issues at Line side boards daily. Responsible for associates to understand any quality issues, deviations and any quality checks.
- Ensures all employees within the area of responsibility are aware of recent customer and internal issues, adhering to applicable quality procedures/work instructions and understands the consequences of not following these procedures/work instructions.
- Follow up on issues affecting quality and customer requirements reported by line associate are responded appropriately and on time and actions taken are effectively implemented.
- Manage daily Line side board meetings; update Line side boards on Production requirements
- Responsible for verifying production reports at the end of each shift (scrap, downtime, etc.)
- Meet department targets for development and implementation of continuous improvement ideas/5S projects overall productivity efficiency, minimize rework/ repair, accurate reporting of scrap and minimize downtime
- Optimize manpower efficiency, for example timely start of lines, timely return from break and lunch, assessment of operators’ performance and making adjustments accordingly
- Participate in utilizing problem solving tools (i.e. 1×1 problem solving) to solve daily production problems
- Ensure standard work instructions are being followed and report any changes required to the area leader, Champion of any improvements to work instructions supported by all of required departments such as Safety, Quality, Engineering, Tool room and Maintenance
- Ensure OK to Run checklist, component lot traceability, TPM, 5S, red herring log, and quality inspection reports are completed by Operators as required
- Responsible for organizing hourly associates as per overtime schedule and report out to the area leader
- Troubleshoot equipment consisting of weld controllers, robotics, and programmable logic controllers.
- Changeover or assist with changeover of equipment, equipment components, or tooling to run different jobs.
- Modify robot, peripheral processes and welding programs as required.
- Preventative maintenance and repairs as required.
- Ability to complete tasks as per E-Maint and produced an effective PM that is attainable, increase equipment longevity and PMs
- Improved to design out PM requirement when possible
- Change welding consumables such as electrodes, caps and MIG weld tips, sealant, wire barrels, and nozzles as needed. Optimize the use of consumables to look for better products or optimizing the process. For example, tip skimming for complete cap usage
- Ensure robot and PLC programs are modified in a manner that maintains or improves part quality.
- Troubleshoot and repair equipment and/or equipment components which cause down time in a timely fashion.
- Adjust MIG and spot welding schedules on Medar, Lincoln, Miller, Panasonic and Emhart weld controllers.
- Knowledge and able to Manually Weld
- Cycle time and process improvements for example, welding/ sealant/ drawn arc/ robot movement
Leadership and Team Work
- Complete hourly associates’ Performance Appraisals within area of responsibility with support of Supervisor and Manager-Operations
- Communicate Take 5s to assigned associates; validate effectiveness of communications
- Participate in disciplinary action in liaise with Supervisor
- Responsible for training Associates at the work cell and ensuring the completion of Mentorship Checklists
- Lead shift startup meetings at Line side board daily
- Ensure the Training & Skills on the Line side Training Matrix for assigned Operators are up to date
- Oversee the rotation and cross-training of assigned associates and their performance development, creating a high performance team by continuously training, encouraging and Introduction of new team members
- Evaluate all temporary associates by completing the Core Assessment after their required hours are fulfilled
- Continuously communicate with associates about their performance, morale, job satisfaction, health and well being
- Conduct Team building with immediate associates
- Ensure the culture of the department is aligned with our vision, mission and 10 principles
- Abide by all Company polices including, but not limited to the following: Health and Safety, Quality and Environmental Systems, Human Resources policies, and the Martinrea Employee Handbook
- 100% plant floor (PPE required)
- Frequent requirement of handling heavy equipment (operation)
- Frequent need to give concentrated attention to surroundings
Decision Making and Authority:
- Drive closure of Health & Safety Concerns
- Participate in Quality Decision
- Respond to training needs of hourly line associates
- Establish priorities when faced with multiple projects
- Manpower, resources with support from area leaders
- Quantitative Measurables:
- Oversee department of approximately 8-10 associates per area
- Closure monthly PMs on assigned cell
- Report out bi-weekly on cycle time with improvements if applicable
- Must be able to lift up to 35 lbs
- Must be able to work with push pull forces of 50 lbs or less
Health and Safety:
- Must work in accordance with Health and Safety regulations, Company and plant rules, policies and procedures
- Must use or wear Personal Protective Equipment and certain clothing as required by the Company