Position Title: Welding & Fabrication Shop Supervisor
Reports To: Plant Manager
The role requires the ability to adapt and will include a variety of tasks. Liaise with various departments in a manufacturing setting to receive required information. Ideal candidate is hands on, thrives on detail and accuracy, able to manage their time, and able to take direction or take the lead. The successful candidate will leverage previous experience for the development and carrying out of a variety of challenging projects. Candidate should be able to work well individually and in teams, be self-motivated, well organized, and able to prioritize work.
Main Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Provide leadership for the successful day-to-day operation of the facility.
- Work closely with quality personnel to review product consistency while monitoring scrap rates to determine trends and areas of improvement.
- Review established production schedules for all manufacturing departments to insure established inventory levels are met while operating at the highest efficiency possible.
- Monitor operation expenses and research ways to reduce costs while maintaining product quality.
- Work closely to ensure all members of the manufacturing team are aware of safety policies to provide a safe workplace for our employees.
- Analyze workforce requirements.
- Encourage and promote operating in a continuous improvement environment.
- Remove production constraints; allocate human and equipment resources and direct production employees to attain all established goals.
- Assist shop floor employees in the interpretation of blueprints and work instructions and provide technical directions
- Quality control of all final assembled products
- Schedule production activities
- Create and follow project drawings.
- Ability to troubleshoot and be innovative in problem solving
Quality & Maintenance
- Audit personnel to ensure procedures are being adhered to and enforce workers to perform their own quality check
- Inspects work to maintain specified standards and quality. Review and inspects the work of employees to check the project specifications and overall quality of work against our standards (and document NCR’s as applicable)
- Preserve the quality of equipment by scheduling & completing preventative maintenance to ensure equipment are in safe working condition and reduce downtime.
- Ensures the shop floor is kept in a clean and organized state at all times. Inspects the shop at the end of every shift and enforces workers to clean up their work areas and turn off all equipment
- Keep abreast of all relevant employee health & safety standards and ensure the facility meets these requirements.
- Ensure sufficient levels of inventory are on hand at all times such that there are no “stock-outs” during a project
- Maintain facility in line with 6S principles
- Responsible for maintaining and positively influencing the companies KPI (key performance indicator – supporting the companies performance metrics program). The employee acknowledges they are aware of the program and the specific metrics they are responsible for and which are tied to their job function. This includes compiling and updating KPI reports, and all necessary reports to comply with policies & procedures
- Perform monthly inventory audits/counts to reconcile level of stock physically counted against system quantities
- Assisting with daily oversight of all production-related task
- Responsible for completing projects on time, on budget and with the high-quality that customers have come to expect. Hands on position that will require day-to-day fabrication and projects
- Co-ordination and leadership for all training requirements of shop floor staff
- Ability to be creative and problem-solver, able to visualize complex challenges and implement innovative solutions
- Plans, checks and ensure work orders are available for shop floor employees to ensure goals of daily productivity are being met
- Attending and contributing to meetings with staff and other stakeholders
- Participate in company cross-training program (as trainee and trainer)
- Standardizing, implementing and creating new guidelines, policies and best practices within the production operation
- Adheres to all company policies & procedures, health and safety policies & procedures, regulations & standards, quality standards and good housekeeping 6S practices
- Commit to and participate in lean manufacturing and continuous improvement methods
- Will demonstrate, promote and exemplify the company’s core values in safety, people, quality and growth
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
- Completion of post-secondary education/applicable certification (AEC/DEP or skilled trade certificate)
- CWB Welding License a plus
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a supervisory role
- Work experience in a manufacturing or similar setting
- Practical experience with ERP systems
- Experience working with TSSA a plus
- Strong networking and relationship building skills
- Leadership – to work closely with plant staff and other staff members within the company
- Communication – work in a collaborative environment that requires coordination with other departments
- Excellent multi-tasking and organization skills
- Strong computer skills. Proficient in Microsoft Office; email, Word, Excel, PPT
Physical Demands and Requirement
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
Working Conditions Notations
- Able to work on weekends as required
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $60,000.00-$75,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Provide gloves, masks, face shields
Enhanced daily disinfection and sanitization of common areas
Air purify for disinfection in certain areas
Employee temperature screening
Employee questionnaire screening
- welding: 2 years (required)
- Supervisory: 5 years (required)
- ERP systems: 1 year (preferred)
Application deadline: 2022-03-07
Expected start date: 2022-03-14