Who is Cleaver-Brooks …
Cleaver-Brooks is the market leader in providing fully integrated boiler and burner systems. We lead the boiler/burner industry due to our unmatched distribution network’s ability to deliver the knowledge, service, training and support that are essential to long-term performance. Our customers will tell you that we’re the only equipment provider that manufactures boilers, burners, controls, and a full array of ancillary and aftermarket products. They’ll also mention that our unique single-source capability means that we can deliver fully integrated boiler room solutions that reduce overall costs and optimize space. It is our focus on products that deliver the most efficient, reliable, safe and environmentally sustainable solutions that differentiate us in the marketplace. Cleaver-Brooks continues an 80+ year legacy of providing the customers we serve with extraordinary products designed to deliver unsurpassed performance through the power of commitment.
Job Summary …
This is a Boiler Maker/Pipefitter/Welder position. Must have minimum three years experienced in boilers or HVAC, piping skills, pipe fitting, retubing, welding and assembly of boilers, tanks, vats, and pressure vessels according to blueprint specifications or manuals, using power tools and hand-tools. Researches technical drawings/diagrams/materials to ensure appropriate parts pulled for a specific job. Be able to work with others. Be a team player with good communication skills and writing skills. Have an understanding of maintenance and interpretation of job scopes.
Essential Functions …
- Assembles boilers, tanks, vats, and pressure vessels according to blueprint specifications, using power tools and hand tools: Reads blueprint to determine location and relationship of parts. Connects fire tubes to heads or water tubes to drums and headers of boilers, by expanding and belling ends, using tube expander and beading ends, using power hammer. Drills and taps holes for installation of studs, using portable drill. Tightens bolts to assemble frames, using hand or power wrenches. Mounts casings of water tube boilers, or attaches davit heads, burners, or furnace casing to fire tube boilers, using wrenches. Bolts or screws accessories, such as man-holes, hand-holes, fans, gauges, and valves to vessel, using hand tools or power wrenches. Replaces defective parts or piping, using power wrenches, prying bars, or hand tools. May install and repair refractory brick or furnace tile. May thread and install pipe, using pipe wrench and dies. May remove and replace insulation and caulk seams to repair insulation on shells, piping, boiler fire-sides or structures. May cut out defective parts, boiler tubes or tube ends using acetylene torch.
- Piping Lay out, fabricates, assembles, installs, and maintains piping and piping systems, fixtures, and equipment for boiler systems by threading or by sweating copper pipe or pro-press fittings.
- Typical Duties: Selects type and size of pipe and related materials according to job specifications. Inspects worksites to determine presence of obstructions and to ascertain that piping integrity will not cause structural weakness. Plans sequence of installation to avoid obstructions and activities of other construction workers. Cuts pipe, using hacksaw, pipe cutters, hammer and chisel, cutting torch, and pipe cutting machine. Threads pipe, using threading machine. Bends pipe by hand or with pipe-bending machine. Assembles and installs variety of metal pipe and pipe-fittings. Secures pipes to structure with clamps, brackets, and hangers, using hand tools. Tests piping system for leaks by increasing pressure in pipes and observing gauges attached to pipes for indication of leaks. May weld holding fixtures to structural steel members.
- Combo or Pipe Welders must be experienced in boiler fabrication, retubing, pipe fitting and welding. Must meet ALL of the following requirements:
- Pass company’s weld test, using SMAW process, in 6G position on a 2″ schedule 180 pipe (5/8 ” thick), with a 6010 root pass and a 7018 filler and cap.
- Preferred ASME code: Mig, Tig & Stick
- Must have recent pipe and/or tube welding experience.
- Workers should be able to: Work within precise limits or standards of accuracy; make decisions based on measurable criteria; and visualize objects in three-dimensions from plans and drawings.
- Physically, workers must be able to: Work easily and skillfully with hands; lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds; see well (either naturally or with correction); climb and maintain balance on high ladders and scaffolds; and stand, stoop, kneel, or crouch.
- Must have a valid current driver’s license.
Non-Essential Functions …
- Work requires some computer proficiency, moderate typing. Completing work orders or completing job related paper work by writing. Competing written expense reports as needed. Driving or operating fork trucks, man-lifts, or other transportation type equipment.
Physical Skill and Effort …
- Work easily and skillfully with hands; lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds; see well (either naturally or with correction); climb and maintain balance on high ladders and scaffolds; and stand, stoop, kneel, or crouch. Pass screening for vision and hearing.
Working Conditions and Hazards …
- Knowledge of Industrial & commercial safety, General Basic plus Safety, LOTO, working overhead, confined space entry, basic electricity safety.
Do You Qualify …
- A High School diploma or equivalent is mandatory.
- Computer competency including Outlook, Word, Excel. Basic understanding of HVAC industry terminology a plus. This position requires at least three years’ experience in a similar industrial/technical position.
Benefits of Being a Cleaver-Brooks Employee …
We offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending account, wellness benefits, life insurance, short term and long term disability, cash matching 401(k) plan, generous vacation and 11 paid holidays.
This description indicates the general nature of the tasks and responsibilities required of position given this classification. It is not intended as a complete list of specific duties and responsibilities. Nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of management to assign, direct, and control the specific duties of individuals performing this function. The Company reserves the right to change, modify, amend, add to or delete from any section of this document as it deems, in its judgment, to be proper. This description supersedes any previous descriptions for this position.
- Team Player: Works well as a member of a group
- Dedicated: Devoted to a task or purpose with loyalty or integrity
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)