Vancouver Shipyards is recruiting for Metal Fabricator/Shipfitter Apprentices.
Metal Fabricators/Shipfitters (“Fitter”) work with ferrous and non-ferrous metals, including plate and structural steel sections, to produce or repair component parts or other assemblies and structures made from steel. Fabricating pressure vessels, structural steel, boilers, tank shells, chutes, hoppers, stacks, and other heavy steel components on a custom-made basis often including the fitting and installation of components for process equipment.
As a Metal Fabricator/Shipfitter Apprentice, you will help fabricate parts for shipbuilding while ensuring that you are compliant with the Seaspan’s health, safety, and environmental standards. Support and direction will be provided by Supervisors, Chargehands, Journeypersons, and Mentors. The primary goal of this position is to achieve excellence in all facets of the trade which will allow you to succeed in your education and progress throughout the Metal Fabrication Apprenticeship and achieve Red Seal Certification. Metal Fabricators/Shipfitter Apprentices who uphold Seaspan’s Core Values and demonstrate initiative, enthusiasm and a willingness to learn will be successful in this role.
- Layout and fabricate metal structural parts, such as plates, bulkheads, and frames, and braces them in position within hull of a ship for riveting or welding; layout position of parts on metal, working from blueprints or templates and using scribe and hand tools.
- Locate and mark reference lines, such as center, buttock, and frame lines.
- Align parts in relation to each other, using jacks, turnbuckles, clips, wedges, and mauls.
- Mark location of holes to be drilled and install temporary fasteners to hold parts in place for welding or riveting.
- Install packing, gaskets, liners, and structural accessories and members, such as doors, hatches, brackets, and clips.
- Prepare templates for fabrication of nonstandard parts.
- Tack weld clips and brackets in place prior to permanent welding.
- Roll, bend, flange, cut, and shape plates, beams, and other heavy metal parts, using shop machinery, such as plate rolls, presses, bending brakes, and joggle machines.
- Meet all requirements of Seaspan’s core values: Safety, Efficiency, Care and Accountability.
Education and Experience
- Minimum Grade 12 Education
- Successfully passed Metal Fabricator Foundation Program in B.C.
- Marine Fitter Training is considered an asset
- CWB All Position Tacking Ticket Preferred
- If hired, any pre-registered schooling may be re-scheduled at the discretion of the Steel Trades Manager
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Comprehend and follow written and spoken directions and work in a safe & efficient manner
- Good communication skills both written and verbal in the English language
- Ability to work in enclosed/confined spaces in awkward positions and at high elevations
- Good judgment and reasoning skills
- Perseverance and ambition
- Demonstrated initiative, creativity, and integrity
- Ability to work in a team environment or individually with a positive attitude.
Please note, NO follow up CALLS PERMITTED. Due to the high volume of applications received, we will not be responding to direct inquiries regarding apprentice positions. We ask for your patience during the recruitment process. You will be contacted by Seaspan directly if you are successfully shortlisted for a position.
If you are experiencing IT issues, email [email protected] with a copy of your resume.