In the role of the Roll Grinder-Finisher, you will work in a manual machining position that is responsible for the finished machining of all elastomer covered rollers. You turn rollers on a large manual and engine lathes and perform a variety of finishing operations. Operations include but are not limited to facing, trimming, surface finishing, grinding, and grooving. The Roll Grinder-Finisher is also responsible to perform more complicated machining operations such as grooving or finishing rollers with custom surface geometries. The role also requires you to complete the final inspection of all elastomer covered rollers by following all documented inspection procedures, and accurately fill out all factory paperwork. Additionally, you will be responsible to package/crate rubber rollers once they have been finished machined. This role is diverse with ample room for career advancement as a part of the cohesive elastomers manufacturing team. You will report to the Manufacturing Manager, Elastomer Parts.
YOUR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Set up, operate and tend a manual and engine lathes.
· Strip existing elastomers off of old rollers to be recovered.
· Study part drawings and descriptions, and work orders for information on specifications and tooling instructions, and to determine material finish requirements and operational sequences.
· Select cutting tools and tooling instructions, according to written specifications or knowledge of material properties and shop mathematics.
· Position, secure, and align cutting tools in tool-holders on machines, using hand tools, and verify their positions with measuring instruments.
· Move tool-holders manually or by turning hand-wheels, or engage automatic feeding mechanisms to feed tools to and along workpieces.
· Move controls to set cutting speeds and depths and feed rates, and to position tools in relation to workpieces.
· Lift rollers to be finished manually or using hoists, and position and secure them in machines, using fasteners and hand tools.
· Inspect sample workpieces to verify conformance with specifications, using instruments such as gauges, micrometers, and dial indicators.
· Face, trim, and rough machine rollers.
· Smooth machine finish and groove rollers and standard grind finish on rollers.
· Ensure non-conforming material is clearly identified, documented, segregated and quarantined.
· Follow additional documented QC procedures as required.
· Assist in packing / crating of rollers once they are finished machined.
· Keep an accurate and detailed inventory of roller cores in the factory.
· Accurately record time to work orders.
· Monitor and maintain safety equipment and hand-tools, ensure that all PPE is being used at all appropriate times.
· Comprehensively and completely fill out all required factory documentation.
YOUR SKILLS, EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Experience in a production environment and/or with plastics is an asset.
- 1+ years’ experience with a manual lathe
- Experience working engine lathes
- Extensive Jobbing shop experience
- Experience with Steel, Aluminum, Plastics
- Ability to Read and Interpret Technical Drawings
- Works will with Minimum Supervision
- Welding Knowledge and Asset but
THE REDWOOD ADVANTAGE
· Competitive compensation and profit sharing
· Excellent benefits package
· Vacation time
· Training and development opportunities
· Supportive culture
· Healthy and positive work environment
HOW TO APPLY: If this role is of interest to you, please send us your resume.
Reference ID: RPRVA-10062020-01
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- manual lathe: 1 year (Preferred)