Status: Full Time
Classification: Non Exempt Salary*: $18.00 – 26.00 / hr
Reports to: Weld Shop Foreman Supervises: NA
Job Purpose: Fit and weld metal components to assemble structural forms using knowledge of advanced welding techniques per AWS D1.1
- Lay out, position and secure parts and assemblies according to specifications and using appropriate tools/devices.
- Tack-weld or weld components and assemblies using welding equipment.
- Cut workpiece using powered saw, hand torch, track torch, bevel machine and grinder.
- Observe tests on welded surfaces to evaluate weld quality and conformance to specifications.
- Inspect grooves, angles or gap allowances using appropriate measuring instruments.
- Remove rough spots from workpiece using portable grinder, hand file or scraper.
- Weld components in flat, vertical or overhead positions.
- Heat, form and dress metal parts using hand tools, torch or arc welding equipment.
- Ignite torch and adjust valves, amperage or voltage to obtain desired flame or arc.
- Analyze engineering drawings and specifications to plan layout, assembly and welding operations.
- Develop templates and other work aids to hold and align parts.
- Determine required equipment and welding method, applying knowledge of metallurgy, geometry and welding techniques.
- Confer with Welding Foreman, Production Manager and/or Quality Assurance Director regarding any issues.
- Ensure compliance with Techcrane Quality Management System.
- Maintain shop cleanliness and organization.
- Wear personal protective equipment.
- Control non-conforming product
- Must have 2-6 years’ experience in field
- High school diploma or equivalent or technical certificate, OR
- At least three years’ experience in heavy structural fabrication preferred.
- Experienced with welding practices and symbology per AWS D1.1.
- Able to read and interpret fabrication drawings.
- Proficient in fabrication and welding of structural steel components with minimal assistance.
- Proficient in gouging steel components and making 100% UT and MT welds.
- Must have reliable transportation for service calls as needed.
Physical and Mental Demands
- Regularly required to walk, stand, kneel, bend, squat, stretch, twist or reach with body, arms and/or legs.
- Use hands to handle or operate tools and equipment; grasp, manipulate or assemble objects; make fast, simple, repeated movements of fingers, hands and wrists.
- Keep hand and arm steady while moving arm or while holding arm and hand in one position.
- Able to see at close range.
- Ability to visualize.
- Able to talk and hear.
- Able to climb or balance; work at heights.
- Operate forklift or other production equipment.
Suggested Height/ Distance
18 + lbs (Plate clamps)
Chest height, carried as far as 50′
33 lbs (Fluxcore wire)
Over the shoulder, carried as far as 100′
40 + lbs (Welding suitcases)
Knee height, carried as far as 5′
50 + lbs (Oxygen/mixed gas bottles)
Ankle height, pushed on dolly
.5 to 70 lbs (Plates)
Ground to 4′ height, carried as far as 20′
Proper safe lifting practices should always be observed by every team member.
- Will spend majority of time in welding shop.
- Noise level will range from moderate to very loud.
- May involve hazardous materials, fumes, moving parts/equipment, electrical shock risk, extreme heat (welding) and extreme cold (liquid nitrogen).
- Severe hot weather is likely; severe cold weather is possible.
- 008-SOP-002, 008-SOP-012, 008-SOP-013, 008-SOP-014, 008-SOP-016, 008-SOP-017, 008-SOP-018, 008-SOP-019, 008-SOP-021, 008-SOP-025, 008-SOP-026
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work performed by the Weld Technician II. These statements are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, tasks and skills required of an employee in this position. Techcrane reserves the right to require that other tasks be performed when warranted (for example, by changes in personnel or workload). Techcrane also reserves the right to revise this job description at any time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $15.00 – $30.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Heavy Structural Fabrication: 2 years (Required)
- welding: 2 years (Required)
- fitting: 2 years (Preferred)
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
Typical start time:
Typical end time:
- Bi weekly or Twice monthly