The Shop Welder is responsible for the set-up and operation of welding equipment to fabricate and assemble metal structures and produce metal products according to client and engineering specifications.
Essential Job Functions
- Maintains a safe, secure and healthy environment by adhering to Company/Customer safety standards and practices and to legal regulations, alerting others regarding potential hazards or concern
- Performs all duties as assigned and adheres to TEAM’s Core Values
- Operates or tends welding machines that join or bond components to fabricate metal products and assemblies according to client and engineering specifications
- Reads, interprets and understands production schedule and specifications to plan tasks related to work orders and determine the appropriate welding equipment or method
- Establishes components for welding according to specifications
- Performs testing and inspection of welded surfaces and structures to discover flaws
- Maintains welding equipment to meet safety standards
- Completes documentation of welding activities
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Associate’s Degree, training in Vocational school, or relevant industry experience required.
- One (1) year of experience in machine welding and knowledge of orbital and automated welding required.
- Ability to pass a standard Code Welder exam required.
- Ability to operate GTAW, SMAW and GMAW welding equipment required.
- Ability to read engineering specifications preferred.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Possession of current TWIC card or ability to obtain a TWIC card required.
- Travel Requirements: 0% – 25
- Position is based out of a branch or site location.
- Field duties require indoor and outdoor work in a plant atmosphere
- Interaction with other crew employees, as well as supervisors and client personnel
- Working in plant and/or shop areas around production machinery with extreme noise levels
- Must be able to wear safety equipment as required by the safety department for personal protection
- May be at more than one job site in a day and must be able to tolerate climate changes
- May be required to travel out of town on a periodic basis
Physical and Mental Requirements
- Ability to lift and carry 75 pounds
- Must be able to walk and climb except when performing non-field duties
- Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing or other communication capabilities, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits employee to communicate effectively
- Sufficient vision or other powers of observation, with or without reasonable accommodations, which permits employee to investigations
- Sufficient manual dexterity with or without reasonable accommodation, which permit the employee to perform routine office duties
- Sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, with or without reasonable accommodations to perform office duties and travel when necessary to off-site locations
- Sufficient personal mobility to maneuver within a refinery or plant environment to include the ability to gain access to elevated platforms via ladders and stairwells
- Ability to maintain focus and multitask effectively
- Excellent communication skills