Seaspan is an association of Canadian companies primarily involved in coastal marine transportation, shipdocking/ship escort, ship repair and shipbuilding services in Western North America. We are a progressive employer with a collaborative culture that supports health, safety and diversity. Seaspan encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons and persons with disabilities.
Seaspan can provide you with a rewarding and challenging career building state-of-the-art ships, and an attractive remuneration package with pension contributions, medical and dental benefits and a fitness membership for all permanent employees. A relocation package and work permit sponsorship (if required) will be offered to candidates to ensure a smooth transition to Vancouver, a city that has consistently been rated amongst the top 3 most livable cities in the world.
Seaspan’s shipyard facilities are strategically located on the Pacific NW shipping lanes in Vancouver and Victoria, BC. Victoria Shipyards is currently in the midst of two major programs for the Royal Canadian Navy – A multi-million dollar FELEX program which will see the modernization of 12 Canadian Patrol Frigates, and the VISSC program, which consists of the overhaul and revitalization of four 2400 ton diesel electric submarines. Seaspan’s Vancouver Shipyards has recently won a multi-billion dollar Federal shipbuilding program that will create stable work for well over a decade, and see the construction of up to 17 ships for the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) and Canadian Coast Guard (CCG).
The primary responsibility of the NDE Coordinator is to effectively represent Seaspan Victoria Shipyards interest related to specifications, welding code, standard or section compliance and the required process controls. This role provides Quality Control support to all vessel repair activities including Naval vessel’s surface and submarines, coast guards, BC ferries and commercial operators. The incumbent interfaces with all VSL stakeholders as required for effective oversight of the in-process controls.
Direction and oversight of assigned quality control staff and welding production coordinator in carrying out review and insertion of the following welding related documentation for production issued work packages:
- Inspection and test plans
- Relevant Drawings
- Repair strategy
- Welder Performance Qualifications
- Review NDE requests
- Review NDE Reports
- Consult on various NDE methods
- Review Radiographic film
- Oversee work conducted by the NDE subcontractors
Review and acceptance of the following documentation on completion of welding activities:
- Applicable weld history records
- Pre heat, interpass controls, heat input, welding parameters, etc
- NDE reports
- Acceptance for completion of work packages related to welding
Responsible for the application of the requirements of welding codes and standards, including UK MOD DEFSTANs, ASME BPVC sections, ABS, Lloyd’s Register, CSA W 47.1 / W59, W47.2 / W59.2, AWS, ISO.
- Current valid CSA W178.2 Level 2 Welding Inspector certification (or international equivalent)
- Current valid CGSB PT and MT level II Certification is required
- Certification and comprehensive training in UT and RT is highly desirable
- Minimum six (6) years documented experience working as an NDE and/or Welding QC inspector/coordinator
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Work with minimum supervision
- Strong attention to details, problem solving and analytical skills
- Basic alloy systems and metallurgy, welding preheat, interpass and heat input controls
- Knowledge of non-destructive testing techniques including film interpretation (MPI, LPI, UT, RT)
- Ability to obtain Industrial Security – NATO Secret designation
- Knowledge of associated manufacturing processes and operations
- Proficient computer skills
- Use and application of inspection quality test plans
- Knowledge of Health and safety requirements and practices
- In Depth Knowledge of quality related procedures and practices