Division: ATCO Natural Gas
Always there. Anywhere. That’s us! We are committed to delivering inspired solutions for a better world. We care about our communities, we care about each other, and we care about showing up for those who need us. We never break a promise and we have the courage to do the right thing, even when it’s hard. We take pride in holding ourselves to the highest standard of integrity and excellence in all that we do.
We are looking for a self-motivated Welding Quality Technician to join us in the exciting work we do in ATCO Natural Gas. You will be part of the team that is led by the Supervisor, Welding Quality. Based in Edmonton, you will be responsible for completing the inspection on welding connections and bonds performed by in-house and contractors to ensure safety and quality control. You will also be responsible for approving welding in compliance to the applicable codes and specifications, and for identifying non-compliance through inspecting techniques on welding assemblies through all stages of the weld process. This role recognizes factors which influence the quality of welds and performs evaluation on incoming and historic material throughout the welding stages.
We’re looking for someone who cares about their work and strives for more each day. Someone who challenges the status quo, embraces change, and thrives in a collaborative work environment. If you are someone who approaches work with passion, curiosity and the courage to innovate, then this role is for you.
- Maintain material and welder tracking process to identify materials and welders for audit and integrity purposes. This includes upkeep of project logbooks, database tracking and the inspection testing plan.
- Performs and documents material inspection prior to, during and at the completion stage of the welding process to ensure the correct specifications and requirements are met prior to storage and shipping.
- Identify and document non-conformance and observes hydro testing and performs visual checks for in-house and contracted work to ensure compliance to the required non-destructive testing which identifies welding that lacks integrity and requires repair.
- Complete follow up on weld specification failures and validate the weld repairs have been completed successfully.
- Validate material integrity on damaged piping and coating, identify material that requires additional coating or rejection.
- Verify torque specifications on fittings are met on station piping assemblies and in preparation for hydro tests.
- Communicate with the welding Foreman to identify and track quality assurance issues that need to be coordinated for correction.
- Ensure all documentation for individual projects are accessible by creating distinct quality tracking for each project. Ensure all documents are collected to demonstrate compliance to governing standards, internal audit and company requirements. This includes but is not limited to non-destructive testing documents, logbooks, equipment calibration records, non-conformance reporting, qualifications and credentials, drawings and maps, reports and procedures.
- Identify when situations require shop work due to safety, escalate to the Foreman and collaboratively work to correct before proceeding. This role is required to initiate stop work on any welding or non-destructive processes.
- Provide classroom and on the job training as required.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Grade 12 or G.E.D.
- Must be in possession of an Alberta Journeyman Welder Certificate.
- Experience and prior possession of B Welder Pressure ticket is an asset.
- Certified Welding Inspector Level 1 (CSA W178.2) from the Canadian Welding Bureau (CWB) is required.
- Must have a valid Alberta Class 5 driver’s license and valid In-House Operator’s Certificate.
- Previous experience in an inspector role is desired.
- Ability to interpret plans, working drawings and material specification.
- Able to deal effectively with a heavy workload during peak seasons working under tight deadlines and time constraints.
- Working knowledge of materials and material specifications.
- Must possess, or be able to obtain, all appropriate company required certificates and complete related courses as required.
- Knowledge of and experience working with PC applications and software required by the workgroup (i.e. Excel, Word, Outlook).
- Must demonstrate good oral and written communication skills, learning ability, initiative, mature judgement, and responsible work habits.
- Must have a comprehensive understanding of company safety policies, procedures and Occupational Health and Safety regulations pertaining to the welding and fabrication process.
- Must be able to deal professionally with internal and external customers.
- Must have strong record keeping, documentation and organizational skills and be able to coordinate information from a variety of sources.
- Must be able to demonstrate effective interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be available for callout for emergencies on a 24-hour basis.
- May be required to work out of town.
What We Offer:
- A culture based on caring, integrity, agility, collaboration, and striving for excellence
- Competitive compensation
- Flex benefits
- Work-life balance
- Tuition assistance program
- Training and mentorship programs
- Charitable donation matching
This position has been identified as risk/safety sensitive and will require completion of a pre-employment alcohol & drug test. Final candidates will also be required to undergo a Security Clearance Check.
To apply for this position, click Apply for Job on or before October 16, 2020.
This position is administered under the ATCO Gas and Natural Gas Employees Association (NGEA) Collective Agreement, Job Posting provisions.
We would like to thank everyone for their application; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
ATCO Natural Gas is part of ATCO Ltd. With approximately 6,000 employees and assets of $23 billion, ATCO is a diversified global holding corporation with investments in Structures & Logistics (workforce housing, innovative modular facilities, construction, site support services, and logistics and operations management), Energy Infrastructure (electricity generation, transmission and distribution; natural gas transmission, distribution and infrastructure development; energy storage and industrial water solutions; and electricity and natural gas retail sales), Transportation (ports and transportation logistics) and Commercial Real Estate. More information can be found at . ATCO is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law.