Full Job Description
Under general supervision, the Welder will use welding techniques and metallurgy fabricates to repair, weld, and join metal components to repair/refurbish various items, such as garbage dumpsters, roll-off containers, gates, trailers, attachments and equipment. Employee will use hand-welding or flame-cutting equipment to weld or join metal components or to fill holes, cracks, indentations or seams of fabricated metal products. Welder lays out, fits, fabricates, repairs, welds, and joins metal components to assemble solid waste containers and equipment. Principles of welding techniques, metallurgy, and engineering required. Job Responsibilities
1. Lays out, positions, aligns and secures parts and assemblies according to specifications, using strait edge, combination square, calipers, and ruler.
2. Tack-welds or welds components and assemblies, using electric, gas, arc, or other welding equipment.
3. Cuts work piece, using cutting torch, hand shears, or chipping knife.
4. Melts lead bar, wire, or scrap to add lead to joint or to extrude melted scrap into reusable form.
5. Installs or repairs equipment including garbage dumpsters, roll-off containers, gates, trailers, track assemblies on off-road equipment, and vehicles.
6. Removes rough spots from work piece, using portable grinder, hand file, or scraper.
7. Cleans dumpsters and roll-offs and equipment with pressure washer to make them available for repair.
8. Assists with painting dumpsters and roll-offs when needed.
9. Welds components in flat, vertical, or overhead positions.
10. Heats, forms, and dresses metal parts, using hand tools, torch, or arc welding equipment.
11. Ignites torch and adjusts valves, amperage, or voltage to obtain desired flame or arc.
12. Analyzes engineering drawings and specifications to plan layout, assembly, and welding operations.
13. Develops templates and other work aids to hold and align parts.
14. Determines required equipment and welding method, applying knowledge of metallurgy, geometry, and welding techniques.
15. Operates overhead crane, forklift, powered equipment, pressure washer and Class C vehicles and Class B as necessary.
16. Assists as assigned waiting to be engaged during hurricane and other emergencies.
17. Assists as needed to include working on irregular, night, weekend and/or holidays.
18. Performs cross-training and back-up services for other departmental positions and other work assignments as assigned.
19. Performs other related duties as assigned. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Minimum Requirements – 1. Job requires an accredited high school diploma or GED equivalent and six (6) months of post high school training or education in the field of welding from a community college, technical training institution or equivalent.
2. Job requires three (3) years of related work experience.
3. Job requires a current, valid Texas Class C driver’s license; Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Class B preferred.
4. Must be knowledgeable of the practices and principles of welding. Certification from the American Welders Society or an equivalent accredited certification is preferred.
5. Must be knowledgeable of machines and tools, including their design, use, repair and maintenance.
6. Must be knowledgeable of welding torches, gas welding or cutting equipment, welding guns, presses and protective safety equipment.
7. Must demonstrate critical thinking skills in solving welding work needs.
8. Must have ability to work with others and coordinate work activities.
9. Must be able to manage time efficiently with self initiative and oversee assignments through completion using mature judgement. Physical Requirements
1. Job involves handling and moving materials, controlling machines, performing general physical activities that require considerable use of arms, and moving whole body such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking and use of hands.
2. Employee works outdoors in non-controlled environments and in extreme weather conditions.
3. May be exposed to various hazards, including gases, very hot materials, and intense light created by the arc. Additional Information
1. This is a safety sensitive position subject to drug and alcohol testing.
2. This position does not contain supervisory responsibilities.
3. This position requires to work on weekends and/or holidays or emergency situations. Disclaimer
This job description summarizes essential job functions and minimum job requirements for entry level work and typical duties illustrative of the type of work customarily assigned and performed in this position. However, this job description does not represent every aspect of the job nor does it guarantee permanent employment, as all positions with the City of McAllen are employment at will positions. Job descriptions are subject to periodic updates and modifications. The City reserves the right to change work assignments and other aspects of a job. The City of McAllen is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, and does not tolerate unlawful discrimination or harassment based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age or any other protected status under applicable federal, state or local laws. Application Special Instructions