Powell People Solving Tough Problems
As a top player in Switchgear and E-house Manufacturing, Field & Valve Servicing, a career with us will challenge you to solve some very tough problems. You will be rewarded with growth, personal development & industry expertise. At Powell, we provide a comprehensive salary package, RRSP matching, extensive benefits and job training all within a professional & friendly working environment.
Based out of the Electrical Division Edmonton (EDE) location, the Fabrication Machine Operator – Day Shift will report to the Manufacturing Supervisor of the Fabrication Department. The Fabrication Machine Operator – Night shift is responsible for machining Powell Canada products into E-house structures.
- Determine size and length requirements of each operation specified, within given allowable tolerance.
- Select and transport material to different work areas manually or using machinery.
- Measuring and marking sheet metal according to templates.
- Operate metalworking machines to cut punch, drill, and shape or straighten sheet metal.
- Grind and buff seams, joints and rough surfaces.
- Perform preventative maintenance on the equipment and its tooling, as well as, small electric and air tools.
- Inspect products to ensure quality and conformity to specifications.
- Perform repairs on machinery.
- Assist in inventory control.
- Promote a safety culture as well as attend all safety meetings.
- Ensures quality by following standard work instructions and identifying any potential risks to product quality.
- Ensure work areas remain clean and well organized.
- Other duties as required.
Job Requirements – Core Competencies
- Ability to program or learn to program N.C. equipment.
- Comprehension and understanding of shop drawings.
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency and a “can-do” attitude by collaborating with others to solve problems and drive results.
- Self–starter with ability to take on multiple tasks with a drive to succeed.
- Conscientious, thorough, accurate, and reliable when performing and completing job tasks.
- Ability to learn and adhere to all manufacturing policies and practices to ensure adherence to ISO requirements.
- Able to work effectively within your team and around other departments and their activities.
- Must have a basic command of the English language, both written and verbal.
- Minimum education level of a High School Diploma is required.
- Minimum of 1 year experience working in metal fabrication an asset.
- Sheet metal worker trade certification is considered an asset.
- Familiarity with Turret, Press Brake, Plasma, Laser Beam copper and other metal working equipment is an asset.
- Familiarity with an MES (Manufacturing Execution System) is considered an asset.
- Basic skills Microsoft Office.
- Safety training certificates are an asset for the position.
- Sit in a semi-enclosed space to perform work occasionally.
- Safety sensitive position in a temperature controlled manufacturing or industrial environment with occasional outside activities.
- Required to wear personnel protective equipment at all times (i.e., hard hats, safety glasses, hearing protection, safety harnesses as required) and respirators when required.
- Must be able to work from all type of ladders (step ladders, “A” frame ladders and all size extension ladders) and scaffolding.
- Working at heights usually no higher than 30 feet in the air on or using proper lift equipment.
- Able to maintain body equilibrium and agility to prevent falling when walking, standing, crouching, ascending or descending stairs.
- Bending the body at the waist, the legs at the knees, and extending arms and hands in any direction in a repetitive manner continuously.
- Continuous standing, walking 50-300 foot distances for long periods of time with only occasional sitting.
- Must be able to climb stairs frequently throughout the shift.
- Able to frequently look over shoulders, work with both arms above shoulders and use both arms at full length frequently.
- Using upper extremities to apply or exert a force continuously up to 50lbs.
- Ability to use hand tools such as tin snips, hammer, and power tools (some vibrating), for long periods of time with frequent repetition.
Who we are
Powell Canada Inc. is a subsidiary of Powell Industries, which is located in Houston, Texas. Globally, we have over 70 years of experience. Powell Canada is a reputable electrical manufacturing, valve servicing and electrical/instrumentation contracting company. We hold a strong industry presence with offices located in Edmonton, Acheson, Vancouver, Calgary, Redwater, Fort McMurray, Lloydminster, Montreal and Saskatoon.
Powell strives to create one unified company through training, communication and leadership. We offer diversified services based on our customer’s needs, keeping us on the cutting edge of new products and services within our industry.
Your Partner in Safety
Successful candidates must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for any employer, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Powell Canada, Inc is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent