Altec Inc., founded in 1929, is a privately held company headquartered in Birmingham, Alabama.
Altec specializes in the manufacture, sale and service of aerial devices, digger derricks, cranes and specialty equipment for the electric utility, telecommunications, tree care, construction, and light and sign maintenance industries in more than 120 countries.
At Altec, advanced technology efforts are aimed, without exception, at helping customers work “Safer and Smarter.” Altec invests more resources than any other manufacturer in the advancement of safety, reliability, uptime and low cost of ownership.
Altec specializes in the design, manufacture, sale, and service of aerial devices, digger derricks, cranes, telecom, and specialty equipment, supporting customers in over 100 countries throughout the world.
Customer First Enjoyment of Work Family Financial Stability Integrity People Are Our Greatest Strength Quality Spiritual Development Teamwork
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Follow all safety regulations for the individual as well as other employees, including keeping the work area clean and in orderly condition as well as wearing all appropriate safety attire for the job that is being performed.
- Weld components in flat, vertical, or overhead positions.
- Ignite torches or start power supplies and strike arcs by touching electrodes to metals being welded, completing electrical circuits.
- Clamp, hold, tack-weld, heat-bend, grind and/or bolt component parts to obtain required configurations and positions for welding.
- Detect faulty operation of equipment and/or defective materials, and notify supervisors.
- Operate manual welding equipment to fuse steel segments, using MIG welding process.
- Monitor the fitting, burning, and welding processes to avoid overheating of parts or warping, shrinking, distortion, or expansion of material.
- Examine workpieces for defects, and measure workpieces to ensure conformance with specifications.
- Recognize, set up, and operate hand and power tools common to the welding trade.
- Lay out, position, align, and secure parts and assemblies prior to assembly.
- Use a plasma cutter to cut steel materials to specifications.
- Re-wire batteries as necessary if moved to a different location on the truck.
- Remove the air tanks from the outside of the truck to the inside.
- Cross train in other areas of final assembly such as Electrical and Hydraulic assembly.
- Periodically participate in Rapid Continuous Improvement events as needed in associate’s designated area of work and support the cost reduction team to efficiently cut company costs.
- Perform all duties assigned by supervisor.
Work in an environment that is not environmentally controlled, including very hot conditions in the summer months and little heat in the winter. Required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) including earplugs, safety glasses and/or goggles, steel toe boots/shoes, welding helmet, welding gloves, and welding shields.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
Hold Altec Weld Certification/or have worked in assembly area three (3) months and can become weld certified within 30 days of receiving the job preferred
Hand tools, square level, impact gun, measuring tape, power tools, straightedges, rulers.
Grinders, bolt machinery, overhead crane, welding torches, cutting torches.
Mathematical skills (dimensions), ability to read and interpret blueprints and schematics, mig welding ability, mechanical knowledge.
Certified MIG welder.
Altec Industries, Inc. and its affiliates are equal opportunity employers and maintain affirmative action plans to recruit, retain, develop, and promote qualified individuals without unlawful consideration of race, gender, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Altec strives to maintain a work environment free from unlawful discrimination and harassment, where associates are treated with respect and dignity.