Primary Purpose of Position:
Vic Priestly Contracting Ltd. (VPCL) is seeking a responsible and motivated Heavy Maintenance Welder/Fitter to join our Heavy Equipment Mechanic Shop team on a full time basis. We are looking for someone who will support the Shop’s overall goal of providing effective and efficient production welding, service & repair welding, prototype building, and fitter welding. In this position you will be provided with an opportunity to make your mark and work with a team that is highly motivated to be the best. This position will report to the Welding Shop Supervisor and will be responsible for the fabrication of custom prototypes from supplied drawings, fabrication of custom jigs and fixtures to produce production parts that meet customer specifications, as well as the fabrication of metal structures using jigs and fixtures in a high paced production environment.
The use of various hand tools, machinery and equipment will be required to manufacture metal products. The Heavy Maintenance Welder/Fitter will be required to assist the Engineering Department with insight and knowledge of superior manufacturing methods, perform scheduled and unscheduled maintenance on returned demolition tools, and refurbished or re-worked tools to OEM specifications. The position requires superior knowledge and skill in operating all metalworking machinery. Additionally the Welder will be required to read and understand production drawings, blueprints, work orders and, at times, other written instructions.
VPCL’s hiring philosophy is based on culture, collaboration and then skills. Here is what we look for:
VPCL is founded on key values that drive what we do for our clients and for each other. At the core, we understand the value of people, and we encourage a culture of safety, hard work, quality, and teamwork supported by a solid family foundation.
Our core values are extremely important to us. Are they aligned with yours?
· Family – We are one family, one community, and we believe in treating each other with trust, respect, and courtesy. This is truly the foundation of our success.
· Safety – We hold Safety as the core value upon which all of our projects and business planning is based. No job is so important that it cannot be done safely.
· Integrity – We make all business decisions and conduct all business operations with the utmost integrity and professionalism. We are accountable to one another, to our clients, to our partners, and to our community.
· Innovation – We embrace life-long learning, staying ahead of the curve, and thinking outside of the box. We will always strive to have the best technology, equipment, and people in the industry.
CollaborationThis means being people smart and championing being a team player. We encourage teamwork and respect, help develop individual strengths, and recognize the contribution our people make to our success. We are always seeking better and more innovative ways to renew communities by clearing the way for new development, and by playing the role of environmental stewards.
· Read and interpret blueprints or welding process specifications.
· Operate manual or semi-automatic welding equipment to fuse metal segments using processes such as: SMAW, FCAW, GMAW and Air Arc.
· Operate manual or semi-automatic flame-cutting equipment.
· Repair parts of metal products by welding on extra layers.
· Maintain safe work practices.
· Assist in development of repair estimates.
· Conduct repairs, modifications and retrofits.
· Monitor parts usage and report on any material issues.
· Assist in training, directing & supervision of junior employees and apprentices, inspecting and certifying their work.
· On occasion review blueprints and specifications; ensure drawings and specifications will function as designed in environment intended for use.
· Ensure accuracy and completion of assigned tasks and projects.
· Keep detailed and accurate reports and documentation.
· Maintain a working knowledge of changes in technology, compliance and repair techniques.
· Other assigned work as required.
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent.
- 3-5 years’ experience as a Welder.
- Interprovincial Red Seal or CWB tickets, considered an asset.
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision in a busy environment.
- Experience with routine maintenance operations.
- Highly flexible, with solid interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse working environment.
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Able to work well under pressure.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Able to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times.
- Computer literate.
- Physical ability to lift up to 50lbs.
- Travel to off-site locations
- Safety equipment will be required, e.g. steel-toed safety boots, safety glasses/goggles, etc.
- Overtime as required.
- Hazards associated with the trade.
- Work both indoors and outdoors.
- May be exposed to construction sites.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Priestly is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. We thank you in advance for your interest; however only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Please continue to check for current opportunities.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $34.00 per hour
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site gym
- On-site parking
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- Welding: 3 years (required)
- CWB tickets or license (required)
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place