INDUSTRIAL MECHANICS / MILLWRIGHTS / ENGINE FITTERS – RED SEAL OR JOURNEYPERSON
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada and 35 Micmac Boulevard, Dartmouth, nova Scotia, Canada, B3A 4Y8, Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada’s shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited group of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in North America. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 20+ modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada’s National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history. This year, we delivered the lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years and we’re just getting started. The second ship will be delivered in 2021.
We’re growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada’s shipbuilding industry and provide Canada’s sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada’s interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants. We have built more than 80% of Canada’s current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
Irving Shipbuilding is seeking Red Seal or Journeyperson Industrial Mechanics/Millwrights/Engine Fitters for current opportunities.
- Completion of college/CEGEP/vocational or technical training
- Industrial Mechanic/ Millwright Certification
Years of Experience Required:
- Shipbuilding experience will be considered an asset
- 5-8+ years of verifiable experience related to the Industrial Mechanic/Millwright trade
- Key skills related to this trade include: mechanical aptitude, problem-solving, communication, job planning/organizing and the ability to use trade-related calculations
- WHMIS certificate
- You must be eligible to work in Canada to apply for this job
- A pre-employment physical is required
- A background check will be performed by the Employer
Physical effort and work conditions:
- Candidates will be required to wear respiratory protective equipment and must comply with all safety regulations regarding the proper fit and use of this personal protective equipment
- Candidates will be required to work at heights from ladders, scaffolding, and platforms; stand, stoop, bend, kneel, climb, and work in confined spaces, inclement weather and support extended hours and overtime as business needs dictate. Work may be performed indoors and outdoors. You will frequently handle, lift, carry, and set up parts and equipment that weigh up to fifty (50lbs) pounds. Occasionally, you may be required to lift and carry items that weigh over fifty (50lbs) pounds
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Areas of specialization: marine repair, shipbuilding and repair, structural construction
- Read, interpret, plan and execute from drawings, blueprints and procedures
- Installation of new equipment
- Shafting and Main Engine alignment work
- Plan and perform rigging, hoisting/lifting and moving functions
- Measuring, layout, cutting and welding operations
- Maintain and use tools and equipment necessary to perform job functions
- Service existing mechanical components and systems where required
- Preventative and predictive maintenance, testing and commissioning equipment
What We Offer:
- Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, and vision
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.