Saskatchewan Polytechnic Saskatoon Campus
Saskatoon Campus, Idylwyld Dr.
Open Until Filled
Category of work
Hours of Work
7.25 hours per day, 900 hours (900 hours of student contact/1442.75 hours per year), 1442.75 hours
As per the academic salary grid
Temporary Market Stipend
Total Assigned days (AC) / Total Hours per biweekly pay
1442.75 hours over 199 days
Your role as a full-time instructor at Saskatchewan Polytechnic will be supported through instructional materials, on-going employer provided training, and our requisite Adult Teaching and Learning Program. This initiative will develop our instructors professionally while ensuring a high quality learning experience for all Saskatchewan Polytechnic students.
Saskatchewan polytechnic considers the diversity of our workforce to be one our leading strengths and greatest assets. Our employee diversity enhances our ability to meet the needs of an increasingly diverse student population. Currently, approximately 20% of our students are Indigenous. A continued emphasis on the development of a representative workforce is one of Sask Polytech’s strategic priorities and, as an organization, we are making significant efforts to attract and retain Indigenous employees.
Job Duties/Qualifications, Skills and Abilities(QSA)
1. Qualified applicants will be required to teach classes in multiple welding processes at the pre-employment, apprentice, upgrader, and service program levels in addition to all levels of steel fabrication as assigned.
2. Ability to teach in other program areas is an asset.
3. Manage face-to-face, blended, and online courses to ensure an optimal learning environment for students.
4. Be reflective of and responsive to accommodation of special learning needs, including equity groups and diverse learners.
5. Plan and deliver content and learning activities that reflect the values, beliefs, needs, and contributions of a culturally diverse community.
6. Provide appropriate evaluation, assessment, and feedback to students following all Sask Polytech policy, procedures, and best practices.
7. Select, design, update and construct educational courses and lab aids/materials.
8. Make necessary curriculum adjustments to course content in accordance with leading industry standards.
9. Work cooperatively with program heads and colleagues in an interdependent “team” environment.
10. Attend staff, program, and division meetings.
11. Pursue professional development opportunities and manufacturing/welding industry relationships to keep current with industry and educational requirements.
12. Where required, develop working relationships with appropriate external partners and employers.
13. Counsel students and prospective students on matters pertaining to the program and job opportunities.
14. Supervise students in classrooms, shops, labs, and tours at Saskatchewan Polytechnic property and Saskatchewan Polytechnic sanctioned activities.
15. Follow all academic regulations and/or policies adopted by Saskatchewan Polytechnic and/or Regina Campus.
16. Practice good interpersonal oral and written communication skills.
17. Assist in/arrange for equipment maintenance within the program.
18. Assist in conducting and maintaining inventory, ordering supplies, equipment and learning materials.
19. Travel may be required.
Required Qualifications, Skills and Abilities (QSA)
1. Grade 12 diploma or equivalent.
2. Interprovincial Journeyperson certificate in the Steel Fabricator trade and an Interprovincial Journeyperson certificate in the Welder trade.
3. Two years’ recent/relevant post-Journeyperson experience as a Welder or Fabricator.
4. Experience in customizing and adapting curriculum to client needs, both for content and delivery.
5. Effective communication (both oral and written) skills.
6. Effective interpersonal skills.
7. Effective instructional ability.
8. Demonstrated competence and recent experience in the use of the internet, e-mail, MS Office Suite software, familiarity with learning management systems, and the ability to learn and adapt to changing technology.
9. Ability to function as a team member in an ever-changing environment.
10. Demonstrates valuing diversity.
Job Type: Full-time