Under the direction of the Fabrication Manager, the Journeyman Welder is responsible for fabricating components, making modifications or repairs using a variety of processes. The Journeyman Welder is required to complete projects in a timely manner, ensuring safety and resolving immediate safety concerns. This position is considered to be a safety-sensitive position.
- Oversee completion of projects as directed by Fabrication Manager as per work orders, drawings, or blueprints.
- Calculate or solve practical problems and repairs, or additions to projects as required.
- Read and interpret welding blueprints, sketches, diagrams, manuals, and/or parts to be repaired or fabricated to determine operations to be performed and materials required.
- Set up, adjust, monitor, and operate welding equipment efficiently.
- Maintain and support the quality management system, report any non-conformances or safety issues.
- Monitor the fitting, burning, and welding processes.
- Examine welds for defects, measure work pieces to ensure conformance with specifications per quality controls.
- Requisition materials and tools required and ensure conformance to specifications. Maintain proper inventory levels, including inventory of steel, and communicate inventory requirements to Fabrication Manager.
- Train, direct, and provide instruction to other Journeyman Welders in the proper methods and processes necessary to carry out welding assignments.
- Provide guidance and assign work to Apprentice Welders and Welder Helpers and review job performance by observing and critiquing work techniques and completed assignments.
- Use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Prepare and maintain up-to-date documentation on equipment maintenance and repairs.
- Read, understand and follow all safe work practices and procedures for machinery and equipment and adhere to applicable codes and standards.
- Maintain and perform minor repairs on welding equipment.
- Complete knowledge and understanding of operation and functionality of all of the equipment and components as it relates to the cementing of oil and gas wells.
- Participate in training and development activities.
- Other related duties as required.
Qualifications – Required
- Considerable knowledge with Welder experience; Welder Journeyman Red Seal certification preferred.
- Physically capable of moving/lifting heavy objects up to 23 kg., bending, standing, and climbing repeatedly for extended periods.
- Able to work with exposure to fumes, oils, airborne particles, vibration, loud noise, heat and cold.
- Hold valid safety certificates and a valid driver’s license with a clean abstract.
- Able to work overtime, accommodate a flexible schedule, and travel to meet the needs of the business.
- Legally eligible to work in the country the role is based out of.
Qualifications – Looking For
- Technical knowledge regarding the use of tools, materials, equipment and safety gear related to all aspects of welding, as well as occupational hazards and safety precautions applicable to the welding trade.
- Good mathematical, calculation, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Good manual dexterity, attention to detail, eyesight and hand-eye coordination.
- Ability to visualize a layout by looking at plans, sketches, blueprints, and diagrams.
- Good communication skills, both spoken and written.
- Self-starter, organized, able to prioritize, and work independently as well as pro-actively.
- Strong work ethic, positive attitude, reliable, and dependable.
- Flexible and able to adapt to change.
- Understands the importance of safety.
- Team player and customer service focused.
- Demonstrated initiative and results orientated.
Qualifications – Assets
- Able to train, instruct, and direct others in welding work.
- Self-starter, organized, able to prioritize and multitask.
- Able to work autonomously and be proactive in addressing issues.
Magnum Services is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate, support, and thrive on diversity, and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Please note that this position will remain open until a successful candidate is found. While all candidates are welcome to apply, only those who appear to meet the requirements of our available roles will be contacted.