Plate Fitter/Welder (SMAW or FCAW) Galveston, TX ($20-23/hr)
Gulf Copper Energy Services is currently accepting applications for experienced plate fitter/welders for a project located in Guam. Fitter and weld test will be conducted in Galveston, TX. This position will be on-base and requires a DBID Card, candidate must be able to obtain DBIDs credentials.
Project location will be in Guam
Work schedule is 8 to 10hrs a day working 6 days a week.
Per diem of $504 per week.
Company provides hotel and flight for travel to and from Guam.
Candidates must have:
Must be COVID-19 vaccinated.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
This position is responsible for the following: Other duties may be assigned.
1. Lays out, fabricates and weld metal structural parts, such as plates, bulkheads, and frames, and braces them in position within hull of ship.
2. Locates and marks reference lines, such as center, buttock, and frame lines.
3. Marks location of holes to be drilled and installs temporary fasteners to hold part in place for welding or riveting.
4. May prepare molds and templates for fabrication of nonstandard parts.
5. May tack weld clips and brackets in place prior to permanent welding.
6. May roll, bend, flange, cut, and shape plates, beams, and other heavy metal parts, using shop machinery, such as plate rolls, presses, bending brakes, and joggle machines.
7. Remove high spots and cut bevels, using hand files, portable grinders and cutting torches.
8. Fit and weld plate/structure in the repair and/or construction of marine vessels and industrial components using gas welding, brazing, arc welding, wire fed welding, or tig welding process and procedures.
9. Be able to use large machinery such as a metal shear, metal brake and band saw.
10. Welds components in a flat, vertical, or overhead positions.
11. Select and set up welding equipment, execute the planned welds, and examine the welds to ensure that they meet standards or specifications.
Required Education & Experience:
1. High School Diploma and/or one year certificate from college or technical school preferred.
2. Industrial and/or marine Plate/Structural fitting/welding experience:
- 1st Class: 3-5 years
- 2nd Class: 1-3 years
3. Must pass an ABS, or ASME weld test. Must also be able to pass x-ray testing.
4. NCCER card preferred.
1. Open-air conditions such as noisy, hot, cold, etc.
2. Must wear hearing, eye, head protection and proper PPE.
3. Some climbing (100 feet) and lifting (50 lbs.) involved.
4. Traverse gangways and scaffolding at varying heights while wearing fall prevention equipment.
5. Working with hot and sometimes hazardous materials.
6. Aboard ships, both on and offshore as well as confined spaces.
7. Must be able to stand and operate equipment up to four continuous hours.
8. The work requires long periods of sitting in awkward positions, standing on a variety of surfaces and at differing angles, bending over, crouching and climbing up and over obstructions such as scaffolding, ladders, and internal barge and boat structural members.
Necessary Equipment Operation:
1. Squares, levels and hand & power tools.
2. Blow torches- Motorized cutting torches; Pattern cutting torches; Welding torches
3. Gas welding, brazing, or cutting apparatus- Brazing equipment; Heliarc welding equipment; Oxyacetylene equipment; Portable gas operated arc welders.
4. Manlift or personnel lift- hydraulic truck lifts; Swing stages
5. Weld masks- Hand shields; Welding shields
1. Ability to work under deadlines and schedule pressures.
2. Ability to read and interpret blueprints, sketches, drawings and technical manuals.
3. Perform basic mathematical functions.
4. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
5. High performance and a strong team player.
6. Commitment to company values and safety program.
7. Trained to work with a wide variety of materials, such as titanium, aluminum, or exotic metals, in addition to steel.
Fitter/Welder Position Basic Requirements:
Combo Fitter Welder-Plate/Structural (PLFW) – Fitter capable of Plate/Structural fitting and also qualified for plate welding. Must meet the requirements of PLW1+PLF2 or PLW2+PLF1