Cambrian College’s Applied Research department requires a Technician – Welding-Fabrication beginning January 2021.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee logistics and production of applied research projects that have focus on welding and fabrication, working closely with the Mechanical Engineer taking engineering designs and drawings and preparing them for fabrication.
- Manage the production and provide direction to students who will be carrying out the cutting, welding, and fabrication.
- Operate Applied Research’s welding and fabrication equipment as needed, and assist in enhancing students’ hands-on skills and techniques, providing observation and guidance to ensure students have mastered identified skills on applied research projects.
- Collaborate with the Mechanical Engineer, and Director in the coordination of purchasing necessary materials, consumables, and equipment required for projects.
- Effectively operate and maintain the equipment, such as the water jet cutter, welding machines, fixture tables, and jib cranes, in the department’s prototyping shops.
- Oversee mobile trades trailer maintenance, and other duties as assigned.
- Two-year postsecondary diploma in Welding and Fabrication or Fitter (structural steel/plateworker). A copy of educational documents must be submitted with application *** education completed outside of Canada, applicants are required to submit a WES or ICAS with their application)
- Certificate of Qualification (Interprovincial Red Seal preferred) as a journeyperson in Metal Fabrication (Fitter – Structural Steel/Plateworker).
- Five years of industry experience in welding and fabrication, with experience in designing drawings for proof of concept and prototypes.
- Experience in supervising welding and fabrication shops, overseeing purchase of materials, and coordination of multiple projects.
- Sound experience in operating welding and fabrication equipment such as water jet cutter, plasma table, welding machines, grinding wheels, brake press, and jib cranes.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, Inventor, and/or SolidWorks.
- Ability to work with students from diverse educational, religious, and cultural backgrounds.
- Solid commitment to students and education.
- Excellent written communication skills and exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Strong computer literacy and effective critical thinking and organizational skills.
- Understanding and knowledge of the updated policies and laws of Health and Science Ontario
- Project Management
To be considered, candidates must provide the following as an attachment:
- WES/ICAS Equivalence if degrees/diplomas are from a Non-Canadian University
- Certificate of Qualification