Union Tank Car Company is seeking qualified welders at our full-service rail tank car repair shop . The Company’s regulatory, engineering and commercial expertise make UTLX the preferred source of railcars and services for many of its customers. Owned by the Marmon Group and Berkshire Hathaway, UTLX headquarters is in Chicago’s financial district, close to major public transportation hubs. UTLX offers competitive compensation and benefits as well as an opportunity to be a part of a top-notch team where enthusiasm, expertise, growth, and progressive thinking are valued.
Primary Job Functions
This is not an exhaustive list and employees in these classifications frequently may be required to perform additional duties. Not all classifications will be required to perform all job functions.
- Welds components related to tank cars including tanks, bolsters, underframes, side sills, etc.
- Performs welded repairs by utilizing air arc cutting torch and stick or wire welding equipment.
- Uses hand tools and equipment to chip and grind weld, slag or spatter.
- Repairs, straightens, removes, reworks car parts, brakes, underframes, center plates, gears, couplers, valves, etc. using various hand and power tools.
- Performs welding and mechanical repairs to tank and hopper cars when required.
- Maintains work area in a neat and orderly manner and reports potential hazards.
Knowledge and Skills Required
- Must pass the applicable welding test as prescribed by the company
- Have a High School Diploma or GED
- Demonstrate job-related knowledge; for example, follow instructions on a document, be able to read a ruler
- Dependable and reliable to show up for scheduled work shifts including overtime.
- Welding experience or education is preferred
Environmental and Working Conditions
- Moderate to heavy physical effort involved. Lifts and carries necessary equipment to car to perform operation. Climbs, walks, and balances on top of car while welding.
- Possibility of exposure to x-ray radiation hazards.
- Must follow prescribed safety rules to avoid possible injury.
- Uses hand tools and equipment to chip and grind off excess weld slag or spatter.
Why Join Our Team?
We take pride in offering our employees rich benefits packages. We appreciate hard-working and passionate individuals which is why we offer…
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Medical, dental, vision
- Company-paid employee and dependent life insurance
- Company-paid sickness and accident income
- 401k matching and pension
- Annual safety shoe reimbursement and prescription safety wear
- Holiday pay
- Marmon employee discount program
Legally can work in US now & future without sponsorship (preferred)
We are an equal opportunity workplace (EEOC)
Following receipt of a conditional offer of employment, candidates will be required to submit to a pre-employment drug screen and a criminal background check as permitted or required by applicable law.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Seadrift, TX 77983: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Welding: 1 year (Preferred)
- Mechanical knowledge: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: One location