Martinrea is a diversified global automotive supplier engaged in the design, development and manufacturing of metal parts, assemblies and modules, complex fluid management systems and aluminum products. We employ approximately 15,000 skilled and motivated people at manufacturing, engineering and technical centers in Canada, the United States, Mexico, Brazil, Germany, Slovakia, Spain and China. Our business strategy leverages world-class technologies, motivated and talented people, and high-quality products.
Our Mission is to make people’s lives better by:
- Delivering outstanding quality products and services to our customers;
- Providing meaningful opportunity, job satisfaction, and job security for our people;
- Being positive contributors to our communities; and,
- Providing superior long-term investment returns to our stakeholders.
Our strength is our people
We invite you to follow your dreams and explore a challenging and rewarding career at Martinrea.
Job Summary: The purpose of the Welding Engineer is to provide first-line support for the resolution of production problems and coordinates specific items with manufacturing, quality assurance, general maintenance and tooling to maintain Dimensional integrity of finished goods supplied to customers. Monitors and reports status. Participates in decisions within an area of responsibility and interfaces with others on continuous improvement of operations
- Experience in destructive and non-destructive weld testing
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience with designing and programming robotic/automated welding systems a plus
- Minimum 5 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Bachelors of Science in Welding Engineering Technology or an additional 4 years’ experience
- Establish welding process and quality parameters for MIG (GMAW) and resistance spot welding operations
- Assist in defining and maintaining proper methods and standards for quality and production coming off welding processes
- Establish procedures, processes and testing equipment for destructive and non-destructive testing on resistance & MIG welding applications including cut & etch (macro etch), fillet weld break, transverse tension & guided bend testing with the assistance from the Quality Department
- Work with Design and Manufacturing Engineering and Prototype Departments to fine-tune designs, material selection, documentation, fixtures, and process control to optimize product manufacturability
- Design and develop welding systems and fixtures and participate in FMEA’s
- Study current welding processes for cost reduction and process improvement opportunities
- Develop and implement robotic/automated welding systems
- Research and recommend new ideas and methods to improve welding processes
- Prepare written capital and cost reduction proposals, including cost justifications
- Establish equipment standards required for the Welding Department
- Develop and maintain approved weld training programs
- Develop and maintain a Preventative Maintenance Program on all welding and robotic systems
- Assist in Metallurgical Studies that must be performed
- Manage MIG (GMAW) & resistance welding consumables & weld equipment spare parts
- Conduct weld lobe studies to optimize welding processes
- Responsible for welding dimensional process capability for new and existing processes
- Identify and implement fail-safe welding systems to eliminate discrepant processes and parts
- Participate in New Product Development activities to incorporate Design for Manufacture concepts
- Perform special assignments and other duties as determined by the Manufacturing Engineering Manager
- Ensure compliance with codes, standards and legislation: Environmental Legislation, O. Reg 851 for Industrial Establishments and Occupational Health and Safety Act
- 20% office, 80% plant floor (PPE required)
- Frequent requirement of handling heavy operation equipment
- Constant communication with employees, support departments and management
- Overtime as required
Health and Safety Responsibilities
- Identify and report any hazard(s) in the workplace;
- Report any accidents, injuries requiring first aid, health care, lost-time injuries, Occupational diseases or incidents;
- Use equipment, materials, and machinery only as authorized;
- Follow procedures and wear personal protective equipment as outlined in the health and safety manual
- Must work in accordance with Health and Safety regulations
- Working in a great team environment.
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance.
- RRSP with company match.
- Safety shoe and prescription safety glasses reimbursement.
- Supplier discounts.
- Tuition reimbursement and training opportunities.
Here at Martinrea, our employees are our backbone. We feel with bringing in new skills sets and knowledge will allow potential applicants to become great assets to the company. We look forward to hearing from applicants and giving them the opportunity to become a part of our team!