Are you an Easterner at heart? Have you been looking for that career opportunity so you could go back home? Keep reading, this may be your lucky day.
Drake International is currently looking for a Sheet Metal Shop/General Foreman for their Oakville, Ontario client.
The Sheet Metal Shop/General Foreman will be responsible for overseeing field workers and the day-to-day operations of the Sheet Metal Fabrication shop and, coordinating all project-related activities while maintaining a high level of quality, efficiency, and safety in all operations. You will effectively build and strengthen relationships with all parties and monitor and report progress to Senior Management.
- Provide adequate and proper orientation to all sheet metal workers in both shop and field.
- Work with projective devices, measures and procedures required by the Act and regulations.
- Work in conjunction with Installations Manager, Project Team, and VP to deliver the project on time and on budget.
- Review setup drawings and addendum’s.
- Identify health and safety hazards and provide directions to trades and sub-trades.
- Identifies and provides back up to Project Team discrepancies with plans and specifications and site conditions.
- Meets with workers and sub-trades on a regular basis to maintain health and safety.
- Identifies resources (sub-trades, tools, rentals, manpower) and coordinates with Project Team and Installations Manager.
- Collaborating daily with operations coordinator to determine production schedule and what needs to be sub-contracted due to project(s) time lines and / or materials that cannot be fabricated in client site shop.
- Championing the concept of pre-planning and full day productivity.
- Inventory control of consumables related to sheet metal fabrication and consumables.
- Issuing PO requisitions for goods released to Fabrication and Inventory, when required.
- Arranging for Maintenance and Service for Fabrication Tools.
- Maintaining inventory levels for consumables and providing log.
- Taking all necessary measures to protect the assets and the bottom line of the Corporation.
- Take every precaution reasonable in the circumstances for the protection of a worker.
- Responsible for making sure field and shop staff completes health and safety reports: JHA, pre-inspections, daily, weekly and monthly inspections, toolbox talks, safety summaries etc.
- Assist in maintaining COR Certification.
- Oversee and organize fabrications activities for sheet metal and pipe fabrication.Provide ongoing direction to shop leads (sheet metal pipe).
- Ensure consistent quality and productivity.
- Champion Health & Safety.
- Verifies the status of the work during the project.
- Ensures the work performed beyond the contractual obligations is readily identified.
- Verifies the quality of the product being fabricated meets specific project requirements.
- Other responsibilities as assigned
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Recognized Sheet Metal trade certificate.
- Working knowledge of all systems within the Sheet Metal trade.
- Minimum 5-8 year’s of experience in the construction industry.
- Supervisory training and experience required.
- Good command of the English language, both written and verbal.
- Ability to listen and speak effectively in one on one situations as well as group situations to clients, consultants, field staff, subcontractors, vendors and others within the organization.
- Ability to read and interpret project related documents such as tenders, specifications, contracts, contemplated change orders, etc.
- Ability to effectively respond in a formal manner as required.
- Ability to interpret technical drawings and specifications.
- Ability to identify site issues and develop workable solutions.
- Capable of utilizing concepts of estimating.
- Proficient within the trade certified and capable of delivering technical knowledge to non-technical audience.
- Ability to measure duct in a reno space.
- Ability to run a project from start to finish.
- Able to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule format. Ability to persuade others.
- This position demands a high level of physical activity including climbing ladders, working at heights, working in restricted space, lifting items in excess of 50lbs, working in outdoor weather conditions on a year-round basis.
- Good hearing and vision required.
- Primarily working on construction sites both indoor and outdoor conditions, some warehouse and/or office work may be required if requested by management.
Competitive Salary and Benefits Package
Location: Oakville, Ontario
Relocation Costs to be determined
If you are interested in applying for this position, we ask that you forward your resume with a covering letter.
Drake International thanks you for your interest in this position. Should you meet the requirements of the position, a member of our recruitment team will contact you.
To ensure that you get notified of the new hot jobs we post every day on our website; www.drakeintl.com and join the Drake Talent Network. It’s free, simple and quick.