- Set and operate welding machine for applicable welding processes (stick, short arc, flux core, tig, fill and cap, automatic, etc.)
- Perform welding processes assigned for either structural, pipe and/or automatic welding projects.
- Pass required welding test in accordance to AWS D1.1 latest edition.
- Maintain quality of welding that can pass NDT testing procedures.
- Perform welding assignments in a safe and efficient manner practicing safety at all times.
- Operate applicable hand tools (chipping hammers, grinders etc.)
- Operate high reaches/manlifts as required when having to perform welding assignments above ground level.
- Follow instructions, written and/or verbal, with little or no supervision.
- Standing-Is an essential job function/physical requirement.
- Walking- Is an essential job function/physical requirement.
- Turning, twisting, bending and stooping- These physical requirements are essential job functions.
- Pushing and Pulling-These physical requirements are essential job functions.
- Reaching, forward and reaching overhead- These are essential job functions /physical requirements.
- Climbing- Is an essential job function /physical requirement.
- Balancing, fingering, feeling, talking hearing and seeing-These are all considered normal physical duties/requirements and would be needed /required to work in this industrial environment is a safe and efficient manner.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED:
Welders must have knowledge of and used welding machines, manlifts, chipping & grinding equipment, cutting torches, welding leads, welding whips, and welding guns. Also, all applicable safety equipment used to perform their everyday welding duties (welding shields, goggles, hard hats etc.) should be able to read and write.
75 to 80% of the work activities of a welder (with exceptions of automatic and tig/pipe welders) are performed outdoors. Individuals will be required to work in changes of temperatures, hot, cold, humid, wet and dry conditions; dust, mud etc. They could also be exposed to welding fumes and smoke especially when welding on certain materials (galvanize, etc.).
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Must be able to successfully demonstrate the ability to pass a written and practical welding test.
- Must have shipbuilding environment experience.
- Must be able to pass pre-employment physical and drug screen
- Must be able to pass background check.
- Ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing.
DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE & TRAINING:
Highschool diploma or GED.