Welcome to Valmont, where a world of opportunity awaits. When you join our team, you become part of a passionate group dedicated to changing lives and conserving resources around the globe. We want problem solvers who roll up their sleeves to foster progress and innovation for all people. At Valmont, we provide infrastructure, irrigation, tubing and coatings to the world. We strengthen cities. We nourish croplands. We design, manufacture and coat. Our products and services make a difference. Join us, and BUILD YOUR WORLD.
A Brief Summary of This Position
This is an individual contributor position responsible for operating a flux-core sub-arc welding seamer that places a continuous seam weld on up to 4 sided steel shafts with a minimum of 80% penetration, that will be plug sampled and UT checked. The incumbent will repair and ensure quality prior to submitting the shaft for inspection and/or back weld processes. The incumbent will also operate the sub-arc back-welder (turtle). Through the engineering drawing, operator will determine the length of back-weld required, perform the material preparation, and weld processes to ensure it passes UT inspection. This person will be required to work on projects alone or in a team environment.
- Calibrates weld head for material thickness
- Responsible for making mathematical calculation in preparing product or setting up the machinery
- Ability to read and decipher blue prints and flat sheets without assistance and use them to properly weld scheduled work
- Working from the directions of the supervisor, the job requires the movement of pole shafts into the seaming processor. Setting up and operate the sub-arc welder and backwelding.
- The incumbent will weld, grind, and repair each pole prior to present it to the Quality Inspectors. This person will also repair all seaming defect as directed by the Quality Inspectors.
- Most of the work performed will be individual. Essential tools and welding equipment will be provided, however accountability and maintenance will be the employee’s responsibility.
- Able to work timely and expeditiously to deliver an on-time product without manufacturing errors.
- Performs other duties as directed by leaders and management.
- Actively participate in department safety, demonstrate excellent safety practices and behaviors that conform to all Valmont safety policies and procedures.
- Actively participate in department LEAN activities and demonstrated performance working in a team environment
- Demonstrate knowledge of Valmont’s quality procedures, standards, and practices
Required Qualifications of Every Candidate (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- At least three (1) years of minimum welding experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Read blueprints and use a tape measure
- Pass an American Welding Society (AWS) welder operator qualification test for submerged arc welding (SAW) and gas metal arc welding (GMAW)
- Must be able to safely lift up to 50 pounds maximum, although most frequent lift is up to 20 pounds
- Perform math functions such as add, subtract whole numbers, fractions and decimals
- Ability to be trained on and pass tests for operating an overhead crane and forklift
- Setup, operate, and perform general maintenance of equipment without difficulty
- Must possess acceptable work history and attendance record
- A minimum of 3 years experience in a heavy manufacturing environment is desired or graduation from an accredited trade school with one year of experience.
- A thorough knowledge of welding procedures and practices are essential to ensure the quality of the product.
Highly Qualified Candidates Will Also Possess These Qualifications
- Previous experience with sub-arc welding
- Ability to communicate and interact with coworkers and supervisor
- Prior experience working in a manufacturing setting
Valmont does not discriminate against any employee or applicant in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you have a disability and require any assistance in filling out the application for employment email [email protected]