Stress Engineering Services Canada is a technical arm of Stress Engineering Services, Inc. whose main offices are in Houston, Texas with additional locations in Cincinnati, New Orleans and Singapore. We are a professional engineering consulting organization that specializes in solving our clients’ most difficult technical problems. Our commitment to our clients and our people is to treat each other with respect while delivering superior engineering services both on time and on budget. To do this we recruit great people who want to serve clients and each other, and in return we offer a challenging work environment with like-minded engineers where personal contribution is rewarded.
The Technical Specialist – Welding/Materials individual will have an academic background in the area of welding engineering and be eligible for registration as a professional engineer within the province of Alberta (APEGA). They will be an established individual who has both an academic and practical background in the area of welding for various processes, procedures and materials. This individual will have a strong background in hands-on problem solving and be willing to help lead this specialized area as well as grow the company’s footprint.
The Technical Specialist will lead a variety of projects in the Welding/Materials area in support of internal Project Managers as well as marketing and business development. As the group flourishes this individual could supervise and maintain this portion of the company and be responsible for the effective execution of any technical requests.
- Provide the main technical expertise in the areas of welding and materials for the Calgary office and liaise with the reciprocal counterpart(s) in the US offices
- Maintain state-of-the-art knowledge related to the required welding standards including ASME Section IX, AWS D1.1, CSA W59, CSA W186 and others as required
- Maintain our current W47.1 clients by carrying out the required shop audits and providing the required reporting every three (3) months (minimum requirement)
- Maintain client records and keep them current.
- Review and prepare welding procedure datasheets and specifications for welding processes, as required by clients
- Seek and solicit additional welding shops that require a retained welding engineer under to provisions of CSA W47.1
- Maintain current familiarity with the required CSA specifications including CSA W59, CSA W47.1 and CSA W178
- Independent management and coordination of assigned projects, as well as providing metallurgical support to other internal projects as required
- Supervision and maintenance of our in-house metallurgical lab
- Providing training and direction to technical staff
- Prepare safe work procedures for internal use
- Present technical/capability presentations to current and potential clients as well as be a client liaison
- Visit client facilities to examine client identified problems and to support business development
- Preparation of technical reports, memos and proposals
- Contribute to the growth of the company by further establishing credibility through participation in technical associations, and preparation of papers/presentations
- Five (5) to ten (10) years of practical experience in the application and implementation of welding engineering technology
- Keen interest and curiosity in the areas of welding/materials and a drive to be a leading expert in this technological area
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- Proactive (self-motivated) and organized with respect for both budgets and deadlines
- Willing to fully engage in the varying day-to-day activities associated with a growing engineering consulting firm