- Performs fitting and welding operations in the flat, horizontal, vertical and overhead position using gas and arc welding equipment and in accordance with the Canadian Standards Association Qualification Code W-47.1 and the Ontario Pressure Vessels Act.
- Selects tooling and plans lay-out, assembly and welding operations, applying knowledge of geometry, physical properties of metal, effects of heat, allowance for thickness, machining, weld shrinkage and welding techniques.
- Aligns and fits components together using scriber, scale, straight edge, files and grinders. Bolts clamps and tack-welds parts to secure them in position for final welding. Completes final welding using arc, gas-shielded arc or gas welding equipment.
- Repairs metal products by dismantling, straightening, reshaping and reassembling parts, using cutting torch, straightening press, and hand tools. May set up and operate arc or flame-cutting equipment.
- Maintains the workplace in a neat and safe condition.
- Performs other related arc or gas welding duties as required.
- Normally secondary school graduation and completion of an apprenticeship program. Must have a valid welding ticket from the Canadian Welding Bureau along with 3 to 5 years experience and LP certified preferred
- Incumbents will be required to complete periodic welding examinations to meet standards set by the Canadian Welding Bureau and the Ontario Pressure Vessels Act.
- Must understand the properties of various metals and the effects of expansion and shrinkage on metal.
- Must be able to apply various methods and techniques of welding, brazing, soldering and flame cutting.
- Must be capable of applying shop mathematics when laying out work or developing set up data.
- Must have the ability to visualize from drawings and specifications, the relationships and arrangements of the parts and assemblies to be joined. Must be able to operate overhead cranes with slings & lifting attachments.
- Must know how to manipulate machine controls, electrodes, torch or filler rods quickly and accurately during setting up welding, brazing and cutting operations.
- Must have the capacity to work in stooping, crouching, kneeling or reaching positions when performing welds. The work requires frequent lifting of up to 25 kg.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Must be knowledgeable of and comply with safety precautions. May be required to work evening shift.
- Must be an NEW (Nuclear Energy Worker) or prepared to train.
Contract length: 12 months
Expected start date: 2020-10-19
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $32.60 per hour
- Casual dress
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- On-site parking
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- 10 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- welding: 3 years (Required)
- English is essential (Required)