We believe real value is powered by the unique skills and experiences of our professionals. The interchange of ideas from a diverse group of people gives our teams an expanded perspective and the ability to find better solutions for our clients.
Req Id : 25921
Job Title : 3738 – Welder – Combo Structural 1
Business Unit Sector : OCI-POWER-PROJECTS SERVICES
Work Location : PJFTLAUDE2
Opportunity Type : Craft (non-union)
Relocation eligible : No
Full time/Part time : Full-Time
Contract Hire Only for this Project : No
Plan, lay-out, weld, install, and repair all types of structural steel products or metal components in accordance with applicable plans, specifications, welding codes and industry standards utilizing a variety of hand-welding or flame-cutting equipment.
- Use appropriate hand (ie wrap around, files) and power tools (ie cutting torch) to properly measure, cut, assemble, weld and install all types of structural steel components; install supports, valves and other control equipment; test installed systems and install all other related items in accordance with the applicable plans and specifications; must be familiar with properties of metal machining, weld shrinkage and welding techniques; bolts, clamps or other welding related equipment; weld components according to specific process and code; and install all other items in accordance with the applicable plans and specifications
- Weld components in flat, vertical, horizontal, or overhead positions
- Clamp hold, tack-weld, heat-bend, grind or bolt component parts to obtain required configurations and positions for welding . Must be able to set up machine including safely running lines and be able to adjust gas flow and pressure so that desired flames are obtained
- Knowledge of operation of welding equipment electrodes, fluxes and shielded gases and welding processes
- Welds on site must pass quality audits on a continuous basis
- Knowledge of carbon steel and other alloy metals
- Basic knowledge of ANSI, AWS and ASME codes
- Participate in all safety related processes and programs as requested
- Engage with your work team to ensure we achieve zero injuries
- Understand that no job is so important that your safety and that of your crew will be compromised
- Watch for hazards and report any concerns to your supervisor or safety professional
- If needed, use your stop work authority until the issue is resolved
- Report all accidents and near misses to supervisor; participate in investigation process as needed
- Participate in all pre-job work planning and safety discussions
- Identify safety hazards you or other employees may be subject to and take all necessary corrective action to eliminate and/or mitigate hazards
- Understand and respond appropriately to all safety hazards and warning devices (ie back-up alarms, smell of smoke, different colored warning tags, warning sirens)
- Understand, support, and follow lockout tag out procedures
- Attend site specific training and assure you follow all procedures as out lined in training . Follow established safety rules and regulations and maintain a safe and clean work environment . Use effective verbal and written communication skills
- Add, subtract, multiply and divide whole numbers and fractions rapidly and accurately
- Listen to co-workers suggestions, safety concerns, and recommendations giving full attention to what they are saying and take the time to understand the points being made, asking questions and providing feedback when appropriate
- Coordinate work with other crafts and co-workers on the job
- Provide on-the-job training and/or mentoring to helpers and laborers you are working with
- Produce quality work, meeting requirements of plans, specifications and industry standards
- Read and understand plans and specifications, including diagrams, prints, orthographic and isometric drawings and visualize two dimensional drawings in three dimensions
- With regard to that portion of the work assigned, develop complete understanding of contract plans and specifications and plan, lay-out, install and/or repair all types of structural steel components in accordance with those plans and specifications
- Multiple years of experience as a journeyman preferred
One or more of the following certifications:
- NCCER Welding
- NCCER Ironworking
- NCCER Rigger
At least four years of structural welding experience or equivalent combination of education and experience in an industrial construction setting. Must pass the welding tests on multiple procedures and welding codes that are to be performed on the project. Must have a strong working knowledge of the structural welder craft and various welding codes and specifications. Ability to understand and follow directions. In addition, must have all necessary tools (see Structural Welder tool list). Must be at least 18 years of age. Project welding certificate through OCI Quality. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
NCCER Welding NCCER Ironworking NCCER Rigger
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Lift and carry heavy items weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Stand, Kneel, Bend, Stoop, Move in and around confined and cluttered places, and uneven areas, see and hear naturally or with correction.
- Full range of motion and flexibility consistent with requirements of the job duties.
- Requires using hands to handle, control, or feel objects, tools or controls according to a set procedure.
- Requires repetitive movement.
- Climb and maintain balance on steel framework, stairs, ladders and scaffolds.
- Work up to a 12 hour shift doing hard physical labor in varying temperature extremes and other outside conditions.
- Typical construction site environment.
- Requires working in cramped work spaces and getting into awkward positions.
- Requires working in very hot (above 90 F degrees) or very cold (below 32F degrees) temperatures and exposure to inclement weather such as dust, wind, snow, rain, etc.
- Requires working in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions.
- Includes exposure to sounds and noise levels that are distracting or uncomfortable.
- Work around hazardous equipment.
- This position is considered a safety sensitive position.
Black & Veatch Holding Company, its subsidiaries and its affiliated companies, complies with all Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. Black & Veatch does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender Identity and expression, disability, veteran status, pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
Black & Veatch is committed to being an employer of choice by creating a valuable work experience that keeps our people engaged, productive, safe and healthy. We offer professionals an array of health and welfare benefits that vary based on their geographic region and employment status. This may include health, life accident and disability insurances, paid time off, financial programs and more.
By valuing diverse voices and perspectives, we cultivate an authentically inclusive environment for professionals and are able to provide innovative and effective solutions for clients.