Cathcart Rail LLC in Lake City, FL is currently seeking candidates to fill our open Railcar Repair Tech positions.
Responsible for the overall repair of various types of railcars and/or tank cars. Basic entry level position. Employee is learning the basic flow and requirements of the railcar repair business. The Railcar Repair Technician I follows the company’s Mission Statement and customer service expectations and provides quality running and light repairs on railcars.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Learn and adhere to all Cathcart Rail safety procedures
- Keep work area in a clean and orderly manner to comply with Cathcart Rail, OSHA and environmental rules and regulations
- Follow written and verbal directions
- Work effectively in a team environment
- Possess a thorough understanding of railcar, components and/or shop work order
- Understand inventory control
- Assist in disassembly of damaged railcars
- Apply FRA, AAR Interchange Rules when repairing railcars
- Maintain a high level of quality with an understanding of Cathcart Rail’s Quality Assurance Program
- Perform repairs such as, but not limited to, basic mechanics, grinding, and touch-up painting and decaling on various types of railcars or tank cars as required
- Set up and operate various hand and power tools such as, but not limited to, air arc, plasma cutting, Huck and welding machines and processes, and oxy fuel operation in heating and cutting processes
- Perform interior railcar cleaning
- Comply with company’s Safety Program by following all in-house and OSHA rules, regulations and procedure
- Comply with company’s Quality Program by following all in-house quality processes and procedures and required AAR and FRA rules and regulations as well as any client specific procedures
- Complete documented training to set up and operate or drive equipment such as, but not limited to: forklift, manlift, crane, backhoe, skid loader, hoist or hydraulic boom
- Meet the requirements of AWS D15.1 for freight car utilizing GMAW (Hard wire), FCAW (Flux Core) and/or SMAW (Stick) welding on carbon steel as well as our internal welding technology training and examination
- High-school diploma or general education degree (GED), preferred, but not required
- Must be able to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals and blueprints
- Must be able to write routine reports and correspondence and speak and communicate effectively
- Must possess basic math skills and work and understand simple mathematical concepts
- Must possess reasoning ability to solve practical problems
- Must be able to fully pass the fitness-for-duty examination, pre-employment physical, and pre-employment and random drug and alcohol screenings
Physical Demands & Work Environment
With the exception of clerical, administrative, and some management positions, which require indoor work, the physical environment requires the employee to work both inside and outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, dry/arid and dusty conditions. The environment requires working in close proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, in high and low precarious places, as well as in confined spaces.
The work type is best described as heavy, hands-on mechanical work. Work is very physical, and without proper work planning can result in out-of-position pushing, pulling and lifting. Proper body mechanics, positioning, and lifting techniques can be very important. Employees are urged to seek help when needed with heavier tasks, and to use lifting equipment when and where necessary. The positioning of the work being performed can change very frequently.
Various heavier air and electric powered tools such as car jacks, impact wrenches, and grinders are used daily. Work also requires frequent use of hand wrenches, hammers, chisels, socket wrenches, and ladders. Cutting torches are also used with welding equipment upon qualification of employee.
- Climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, talking, hearing, smelling and visual acuity, with color and depth perception
- Ability to work in a confined space
- Required to use personal protective equipment as environmental conditions dictate
We offer our team members:
- Starting at $19/hour
- Higher start rates for experienced and/or certified welders
- No Travel.
- Full Health and Dental Benefits
- Paid Time Off
- Paid on the Job Training
- Retention Bonus
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $19.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Vision insurance
- Do you currently have any welding certifications? Which ones?
- welding: 2 years (Preferred)
- Mechanic/ Technician: 1 year (Preferred)
- Driver’s License (Required)
Work Location: One location