The welding specialist will develop and qualify welding procedure specifications (WPS) and related procedure qualification records (PQR). They will also supervise, qualify and document welder qualifications, develop technical procedures and directives. The welding specialist will provide welding support to operational leaders, welders, vendors and 3rd party NDE personnel to ensure regulation and program and project specification compliance.
Employees are expected to support and participate in a “culture of safety” and adhere to and be ambassadors of Strike’s Code of Conduct and Values, and to treat others with dignity, respect and fairness.
- Review project specifications for welding process, base metals, filler metals, heat treatment, and NDE requirements; select appropriate WPS, and if required, qualify a new WPS
- Review project specifications and advise the Project Manager of potential materials, welding, heat treatment, or NDE problems
- Develop and qualify new WPS/PQR when required
- Develop welding procedure data sheets when new WPSs are qualified
- Qualify welders through testing program
- Act as a liaison between operations and clients providing welding theory and consultation as required
- Review project specifications for cost exceptions
- Reviews the company’s welding practice(s), as related to codes, standards (e.g., CSA W47.1), and local regulations
- Conduct welding / project / sub-contractor compliance audits
- Drive continuous improvement and zero defects through quality plans and processes
- Write and maintain various formal quality management documents such as procedures, plans, checklists and records appropriate to existing and emerging regulator, project and internal needs
- Other duties as assigned
- B.Sc. in metallurgical/materials engineering, or welding/materials engineering technology with proven experience
- Internal / Lead Auditor Certification (ISO, IRCA or equivalent)
- ABSA Welding Examiner certificate is required
- CWB Level II
Minimum of 5 years (preference will be given to candidates with 5 to 10 years of experience) welding related experience, including welding metallurgy experience, in a construction, fabrication, or repair facility is required
Red Seal Journeyman with 5+ years of in Office Experience
Knowledge & Skills
- Advanced knowledge of the weldability of ASME P-No. 1, 3, 4, 8, and 10H base metals is required, including selecting the welding process, filler metals, heat treatment, and post-welding NDE; weldability knowledge of P-No. 42 , 43 and 45 would be an asset
- Advanced knowledge with proven experience of welding procedure development, metallurgy and testing
- Advanced knowledge of welding inspection and related NDE methods (MT, PT, UT, and RT), including ASME Sec. V, are required
- Code experience must include ASME Section I, Section V, VIII-1, IX, B31.1, B31.3, AWS D1.1 or CSA W59 and W47.1, CSA B51, CSA Z662; other related codes would be an advantage (e.g., API 650, API 1104).
- Excellent analytical and decision-making skills, with commitment to excellence and high-quality work
- Proven experience with MS Office (Outlook, Word, Project, Excel)
- Familiarity with industry standard tools necessary to carry out QA and inspection work
- Good presentation skills and verbal / written communication skills
- Strong work ethic and positive team attitude
- A self-motivated team player who can work in a dynamic environment, strive for new technical challenges and bringing clarity to initiatives
- Ability to work closely with clients and senior project management to discuss defects, errors, issues, potential problems, adherence to process and implementing new quality initiatives.
- A detail-oriented professional who can bring enthusiasm and innovation to project teams
At Strike we demonstrate leadership, drive, creativity and initiative and reward people for their commitment, energy, enthusiasm and results. We treat others as we wish to be treated and, most importantly, ensure that every employee goes home safe.
Why work for us
Strike encourages and supports professional development through education and mentorship. We offer comprehensive benefits, a rewarding short term incentive plan, competitive wages, and opportunities for career growth. We support the communities where we live and the Strike team that makes those communities thrive.