At Aecon, we’re building the future and our people are at the heart of everything we do. We’re always looking for exceptional talent to work on our exciting and ever-expanding project portfolios. We are focused on being the #1 Canadian Infrastructure Company and the first choice employer in our industry.
Since 1967, we have proudly served Ontario’s nuclear industry. Aecon Nuclear aims to be the partner-of-choice for key nuclear clients and our dedication to excellence is leading us there. Aecon Nuclear provides a full spectrum of Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) services, in addition to maintenance and manufacturing services tailored to meet the demanding requirements of the nuclear power industry.
The Shoreline Power Group is a Joint Venture of Aecon, AECOM and SNC-Lavalin. Shoreline Power Group will be completing the Fuel Channel and Feeder Replacement (FCFR) project. The joint venture has been awarded a contract by Bruce Power to execute the Unit 6 FCFR at the Bruce Nuclear Generating Station in Kincardine, Ontario.
This project is part of Bruce Power’s Life Extension Program, which will allow Bruce Power’s CANDU units to continue to operate safely through to 2064, the project is the centerpiece of the Major Component Replacement (MCR) program to replace the main components of the reactor. Unit 6 is the first of six reactors being replaced by Bruce Power through the MCR program.
The scope of work includes the removal and replacement of calandria tubes, pressure tubes, and feeders for Unit 6, as well as construction management and trade labour. Work is scheduled to commence in June 2020, with expected completion in the third quarter of 2022.
Reporting functionally to the Area Manager – Feeders, the Welding Specialist is responsible for supporting the Welding activities associated with MCR Feeder and Fuel Channel Replacement.
- Develop Welding techniques, procedures, and application of Welding equipment, using knowledge of production specifications, properties and characteristics of metals and metal alloys, and Weld engineering principles.
- Provide expertise and work closely with Welders, supervisors and Welding Engineers to determine optimal Welding parameters with equipment type, process, joint configuration, and consumable selection.
- Ensuring that site conditions are suitable for the planned Welding activities prior to mobilization of Welding Operators and performing corrections as applicable with the support of the Execution Construction Team.
- Maintain a regular job-site presence to continuously monitor and oversee in-process Welding activities.
- Ensuring that Welding Operators are using the correct Welding procedures for the applicable Welding process.
- Verifying that Welding Operators are adhering to issued Welding procedures.
- Ensuring that Welding Tooling and Equipment is correctly configured for the applicable Welding process.
- Review and verification of Weld data and results following Weld completion.
- Lead Welding and Welding Tooling related troubleshooting activities at site.
- Report Welding related issues, including Tooling and Human Performance issues, to Supervision.
- Support emergent Weld Procedure Development activities.
- Supervise the Training and Qualification of new Welding Operators.
- Preparation of Aecon Technical Specifications and requisitions for Weld consumables, including Special Purchasing Instructions.
- Other tasks as assigned by Manager.
- Ensure all work is performed in accordance with Aecon Red Book Safety requirements.
- Ability to interpret Aecon and customer drawings, codes, standards, and procedures and communicate review findings with applicable project personnel.
- Ensure process control is maintained throughout critical Welding activities.
- Training of welders on weld procedures, processes and welding equipment, and the maintenance of same.
- Review detailed drawings and determine joint configurations and Weld symbols
- As required, manage the qualification of Welders for field and shop Welding personnel
- Stay current with and introduce new technologies
Required Knowledge and Experience
- Minimum 3 years of manufacturing/fabrication or related industry knowledge
- Graduate of Welding Technology Program or equivalent, or equivalent practical experience
- Strong working knowledge of arc welding processes and equipment are essential. Knowledge of ASME Code Section IX, CWB W47.1 and CSA W59, AWS D1.1/D1.6, would be an asset.
- Certification as a CWB Welding Supervisor would be an asset
- Good working knowledge of NDE methods for VT/MT/PT/RT and UT
- Significant experience operating and supporting Orbital Welding Tooling is an asset.
- General knowledge of Manufacturing methods and procedures
- Strong written, verbal communication and problem-solving skills
- Working knowledge with MS based computer applications
- Work well in a Team Environment