CLASSIFICATION (FLSA): NONEXEMPT
REPORTS TO: Structural Supervisor and/or Structural Leadman
The Welder Journeyman Welds fabricated steel components to assemble structural forms in the assembly and production of Navy ship repair and other marine and commercial equipment. Welder Journeyman must possess trade specific tools.
Welding process: FCAW-MIG, GMAW-MIG Alum, GTAW TIG, GTAW-TIG Pipe, GMAW-MIG Alum (5XXX)
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS / DUTIES
- Operates fabrication shop and machine shop machinery and equipment.
- Reads job specifications to determine machine adjustments and material requirements
- Setup welding equipment
- Fit and Tack parts together in preparation for welding
- Remove excess slag
- Perform precise fitting work on components
- Running lines and leads
- Blue print & Weld symbols proficiency
The Welder Journeyman must be able to meet and successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The following physical demands are representative to the position.
The position is active and requires extensive standing, walking, sitting, bending, kneeling, stooping, crawling, climbing, and crouching. Along with such movements, employee is required to lift parts/machinery of up to 75 pounds. Additional demands are listed below:
- Able to climb ladders and work off scaffolding
- Able to lift, carry, and or push up to 50 – 75 lbs. throughout the shift (including overtime)
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS
- Must be certified in Welding
- Ability to weld in all positions
- Blueprint proficiency
- Ability to troubleshoot major welding equipment problems
- Must be able to evaluate the use of various resources and make knowledgeable decisions regarding safety and company procedures and policies
- Able to read a tape measure
- Pass Welder Workmanship Training (WWT)
- Able to operate sawzall, 4” & 7” grinders, and various other tools
- Able to use Weld Gauges
- Communication Proficiency
- Flexibility (Job duties & schedule)
- Work well with others in all areas where SCW&M is performing work
- Follow verbal/written instructions
- Able to work independently with no supervision
- Teamwork orientation
Welder Journeyman position has no supervisory responsibilities.
POSITION TYPE / HOURS OF WORK
This is a full-time position, 40 hours per week. Schedule is Monday- Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. / 2:30 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. (swing shifts dependent on work load). Occasional overtime and weekend work may be required based on production needs.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Must be certified Welder
- Must have a minimum of 2+ years of ship repair experience and/or skill set.
- Must be able to speak and understand Basic English
Work Authorization Clearance
For E-verify and contract security purposes (including ship access lists), all employees MUST present a valid export document. Acceptable documents are U.S. Birth Certificate, Certificate of Naturalization, Passport, Passport Card and Permanent Resident Card.
Please consider that duties, responsibilities, and all other points specified in this description can change at any time with or without notice.